March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, August 15, 2019

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly!

The joke was on me!  I spent most of a day digging up what I thought were Daffodils from the city's easement across the road.  They get mowed down most years & I thought they would be so pretty along the edge of the woods.  I also put the bulbs around an old stump in the yard & along one section of the east fence.  I waited & waited.  Eventually, the leaves died back, without producing any blooms...  I decided it might take a year for the bulbs to recover.
Naked Ladies
 Wrong!  Wrong on two counts!  A couple days ago, I walked out to find fairy like, light pink buds opening on long, long stems!  These were appearing everywhere I'd planted bulbs!  I recognized them now, for what they were!  Naked Ladies!  The blooms are lasting longer than I expected, we've had a couple beautiful cooler days that helped.  Yesterday was our prettiest day of the summer!  Temperatures in the mid-70's & blessedly lower humidity.  The evening & sunset were stunners!
Japanese Beetles~
 Their are no words to describe the hordes of beetles that come in with the warm summer months. I decided to try picking them off, just one planter of Marigolds.  Of course some of them fly when you try to get them - the above bucket was the result of just one day.  We're told to put a bit of dish-washing detergent in the water.  It works, but what a mess.  Rumor is, they  have now invaded Colorado & are moving west.
Cicada exoskeleton~
The Cicada shells are appearing everywhere! Looking like something from a sci-fi horror movie, they seem to like attaching to fresh wood. I found this one on one of our light posts. No harm, but they sure crackle if you step on one. The blog article I've linked to is an interesting read.
Appleblossom Rosebud
I've been so happy watching the above flower grow & bloom. Another transplant from WA to keep me company.
Editorial help, from under my desk~
 As for Nika, today we have a beautiful rain!  Of course we enjoy the rains so much.  The we - does not include Nika...  Butch & I were having lunch, when Nika, who had been outside, crawled under the table!  I asked Butch if he'd let her in.  No, he hadn't.  She has learned how to jump up & hit the lever on the back door & let herself in.  That's what she'd done at the first hint of the rain.  Knowing, when the rain comes, lightening & thunder follow.  She gets so terrified - we may yet resort to drugs to calm her.  Following my every step around the house & even braveing the vacuum to stay close.  

Just another summer day in Iowa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~