March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, December 4, 2023

Finnigan Comes Home!

 I was awake most of the night - thinking about the dog at the Midlands Humane Society.  He was listed as a Fox Terrier, but after doing some research at the AKC website, he looked to me more like a Cairn Terrier.  I joined a Facebook group, posted his photo & the consensus was the same as mine.  

We had our Garden Club Christmas party this morning & I mentioned my dog search.  My friend Ruth has a new Schnauzer puppy & told me how much she was enjoying him.  She had searched for two-years for a dog.  As soon as the party was over, I called Midlands from the car to ask if the dog was still there?  He was...

Our meet & greet~
The minute he came in the room, he made eye contact with me.  I got down on the floor & even though the lady who works there was also on the floor with him, he came over to me.  She left & I soon discovered he was the friendliest little guy ever.  I asked if we could take him outside on a lead & we did.  He did just great & was very aware of his surroundings.  

I couldn't fill out the paperwork fast enough!  He had been microchipped & I had that paperwork to fill out - which included his name.  One of the staff had named him "Geppetto" Pinocchio's creator.  No way!  His new name is Finnigan!  Though they had no information at all about him, his birthday was listed as 9-3-19, making him four-years old.

While I was waiting - they'd brought him into the reception area, behind the desk.  He sneezed & coughed a little.  The staff mentioned it might just be stress, or possibly Kennel Cough.  I told them we'd be making a trip as soon as possible to see our Vet - Dr. Darnell.  

Finnigan was happy to go with me to the Explorer!  As I started driving over to PetSmart, he moved to the front, trying to sit next to me with his paws on the arm rest. We needed to pick up some necessary supplies.
At the checkout~
Everyone in PetSmart had to come & see him - but he was so scared - they stayed a distance away.  We bought food, cookies, a new collar, bed & shampoo!  I'd called Dr. Darnell & left a message before we left Midlands.  Just as we were leaving PetSmart, he called & said to bring Finnigan out!  
On the console~
We drove right to the farm.  Dr. Darnell went over him from top to bottom.  He has an underbite - which may cause some issues as he gets older, but otherwise seemed healthy.  He received the kennel cough internasal vaccine & antibiotics.  As long as he doesn't get any worse & is eating & drinking - all should be well!
In his new bed~
Once home, I walked him around the yard on the leash, then turned him loose.  It was too dark to get video.  He took off at 90 mph running in huge circles as fast as he could!  When I called him, he came running but at the last second flew past missing me by a couple feet :-) I went back up to the deck & sat down in my chair.  I soon had my new buddy sitting next to me. :-)

He waited for me to invite him back in the house, which really surprised me.  I started putting his new crate together & he left the utility room.  I went looking for him.  I have no idea if he's house trained or not.  I'd tossed his new bed to the side of the front door when I first got home & that's where I found him!    He had one thing to call his own & that's where he was...  
Finnigan in his new crate~

I gave him his dinner & a big bowl of water; when I asked, he went right into his crate.  I was going to give him a bath, but that can wait until tomorrow.  
Sound asleep~
I was sitting on the floor, talking to Butch when somebody made a few circles & promptly fell sound asleep.  I'm so happy he's home!  It'll be fun to see him adjust to a new life. Wednesday, he'll accompany me to mat making & we'll do more shopping.  I think he'll need a coat & Butch mentioned toys too.  Welcome Finnigan - here's to many fun filled years together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~