March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, December 11, 2022

Goal Accomplished ~

 December's weather has been a bit sketchy - cold & windy.  I was hoping for another decent day to get in a longer ride.  Sunshine & mid 30's by noon, it had yet to warm into the low 40's forecast.  Even so, the sun was shining when I arrived in Silver City by 1 p.m.  Mari Jo was meeting me for a ride to Malvern.  She needed to be back early though & my plan was to get in enough miles to meet my goal for the year.

Mari Jo, bundled up!
The wind was out of the S, SE & it was bitter!  We were both cold starting out, but soon warmed up enough to appreciate being out.  It didn't seem to take us long to arrive at the Trestle, we were moving right along!
Silver Creek through the trees~
There wasn't a cloud in the sky.  The tiny .12 of dizzle we'd received last week, combined with the colder temperatures, did seem to make things a little less dry.  Rain is again in the forecast for tomorrow evening into Tuesday - we'll see.

We stopped at the Depot.  Mari Jo turned back north, while I turned south again, to do my loop around the far side of town.  I knew if I did that loop & the one around the pond, I'd have the extra 1.5 miles I needed.
At the park~
It was a simply gorgeous December afternoon.  I stopped at the picnic shelter to take a short break & soak in the sunshine before going on.
Sunshine & Smokey's shadow~
For whatever reason, the wind, which I expected to be at my back, had died down to nothing!  I didn't complain, but I'd looked forward to a little push from behind :-)
North of Malvern~
That concrete mile north of town always feels so smooth after the miles of limestone.  Quiet too!  I can just barely hear the small generator in Smokey's front hub that powers the lights.  I never use them, but they were an option that came along with the fenders.

Three doe stopped on the trail about 100-yards ahead of me, but bounded off into the fields by the time I pulled out the phone for a picture.  I was past the Hwy 34 underpass & about half-way back to the trestle when I started hearing the distant whine of motorbike engines...  

Last week, just south of Silver City - a private property bordering the trail - had made a dirt track parallel with the trail.  A least two people on motorbikes were riding over fresh mounds of dirt & sending dust high into the air.  The sound I was hearing, was exactly the same, but behind me!
Riders coming fast~
I reached the trestle & rode up onto it, before stopping to see what was causing the obnoxious sound.  I parked Smokey in the middle of the bridge, sideways, before getting out my phone.  I started taking pictures as the riders approached, now slowing.
3:26 p.m.
They asked what I was doing?  I replied; "Taking photos". Then added;  "No motorized are allowed on the trail."  To this the one on the left said;  "These are electric."  I repeated my second comment.  I would have to have been deaf & blind not to reconize gas powered engines when I see & hear them...

When I didn't move, they raised their face coverings, turned around & took off as fast as they could go.  I took video, the sound of the engines was obvious.  It was a glaring interruption to the quiet of the trail... 

Once they were gone, I finished my ride & by the time I was back to the Explorer I was cold! Mari Jo had left me some of her peanut butter fudge!  So creamy - peanut butter is my favorite!  

I'd made my goal for the year - 800-miles, with a mile to spare!  With rain scheduled, possible snow flurries & temperatures to drop to down to the teens next week, it will be the luck of the draw as to whether I get in another ride this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~