March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, October 20, 2017

Into the Wind ~

 At the stable I was asked to keep Farah out all day - so that her run could be scraped.  No problem at all, since my plan was to see the fall colors at Waubonsie.  Dazzling sunshine - a strong wind - at 20 to 30 mph. with 40 mph. gusts.   Since rain is forecast for tomorrow, today was the day to get out!

Quiet when we arrived, just as I had bridled Farah, a group of four riders returned to the trail-head.  I had my camera off the saddle & caught the image below.  As the years have gone by & I've watched the gold girl mature, I keep thinking that she can't be more beautiful.  I'm biased - yes - but with good cause.
Farah~
 Stately & aristocratic - with so much presence - truly a one-of-a-kind mare.  She's adjusted well to life here in Iowa - the bugs, heat, cold etc.  Certainly a more extreme climate than the one she was used to.  The wind doesn't even bother her - in the spring & fall we get plenty - she hardly twitches an ear.
To the trails!
 I couldn't believe how colorful things were once we were into the timber!  The golds, rusts, oranges, all on a backdrop of the trees that still held onto green leaves.
Down the Trail~
 I let her go at her own pace - the footing was perfect & having her barefoot is so nice.  The trails were littered with the colorful fallen leaves.  It had been a while since we'd done all the hill work, but Farah attacked them in her usual style & tossed in a buck just to keep me on my toes.
Top Trail~
 We'd just rounded the corner when two hen turkeys came out of the brush & started up the trail in front of us.  I slowed down & a second or so later a big tom took flight right over our heads!
Far Views~
 Now, the views are opening up & you get more of the feeling of being up on the higher ridges of the park.  Not really territorial - but pretty none the less.
Trails edge~
 The day went from sunshine, to partly cloudy later in the afternoon.  The filtered light turning the colors of the leaves almost a neon against the gray backdrop.
Ms. Farah~
 We made as many miles as we could, doing each loop twice in both directions & the pretty section that I call Tall Trees to finish up the ride.  It was warm, probably upper 70's.  Farah worked up a decent sweat with her newly thickened coat.
A typical yawn~
She asked to stop once & spent a few minutes yawning - something she's done forever.   Back at the trail-head there was only one other rig parked at the far side.  Since the Asian Beetles have hatched out this week & they'd been thick here last year - I was surprised that they weren't bad today.  Farah got a bath & she was dry almost faster than I could get her wet!
Farah & Nika~
I made the drive home & turned her out in the yard.  Nika actually laid down nearby for the first time!  Usually she moves further away.  Back at the stable, the run had not been scraped - with rain tonight - I can only hope it will get done next week.  Another gorgeous ride, I'm hoping to go to  Indian Caves before all the color is gone.

1 comment:

Always Welcome~