March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The Cold Commeth~

We'd been having the most beautiful sunshine days, except for the wind, which I'm told is pretty much normal for fall.  But within just the last few days, the temperature's have dropped & we experienced three hard freezes.  Oh joy!  Killing off the last of the bugs!  Farah was happy to finally be rid of her fly mask.

Sunday, after church & lunch we worked all afternoon at home.  Butch mowed & edged, while I emptied pots & transplanted.
Mr. Squirrel with his Fall attire~
This morning - the winds of yesterday were gone!  I'd be riding, but our high is only supposed to be in the mid-30's with a possibility of snow showers.  I'm just not as in to riding in the cold as I once was.  Tomorrow the weather man is promising 50 - hopefully that will make a nice riding day.
Nika on her morning round of the yard~
It seems that time moves faster for me with each passing year.  Last year we were empting out the final storage full of furniture & spent our first night in our own bed - rather than in the camper.  We'd had a busy couple of weeks waiting for the flooring installation to be finished & working on the house remodel. 
Bottom corner~
This is my favorite area of the yard.  Yesterday even in the cold & wind, Nika & I went exploring along the creek.  The freeze has wilted the tall weeds, so even though we did some brush whacking, we made our way quite a distance.  The air smelled so fresh & full of the scents of fall!
Nika in the NW corner~
I went ahead & planted the Dusty Miller that had been in buckets all summer, into the ground.  We'll see how long they can hold up.   My most of my red germanium's made it through their first Summer here in good shape.  They were in the ground longer than they had ever been in WA.  I had to cover them twice, when there was a chance of a freeze & I was worried that I was stretching the limits of the weather!
Last of the blooms~
All the bigger plants are now in pots & on shelving in the craft room with lights.  I had more than I had room for, so I took cuttings that will soon be in pots.  Still nice to be able to enjoy the last of the blooms.  I've so many projects stacked up for the cold Winter months that I doubt I'll run out any time soon!

2 comments:

  1. You know, I don't think we should beat ourselves up just because wrapping ourselves in enough layers to make bending joints tough so that we can go ride doesn't sound so appealing anymore.
    I find that, now I'm a woman of a certain age (whoever coined that phrase anyway?), I feel the cold so much more sharply. Even inside the house, where the thermostat was never set above 69*, I will light a fire in the woodstove because I. am. cold.
    Go figure, my horses never seem to mind time off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't, but that doesn't stop me from wishing I was riding :-)

      Delete

Always Welcome~