March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, December 18, 2017

Last Ride of the Year~

It was another fine, fine day!  With our upcoming busy holiday schedule, I knew today would be my last opportunity to get Farah out before the end of the year.  The weatherman has forecast a big change for later this week, so Margie & I took advantage of one of the last days, of this amazing streak, of incredible weather.
Margie & Coco~
When I mentioned to Margie I wanted to ride the Wabash - she was game to accompany me.  Most riders would consider it a technical trail - with the traffic, road crossings & bridges.  Coco took it all in stride.  It was darn cold leaving the parking area, with just enough wind to make it feel even colder.
Almost spring like!
Once we were out & moving though - we both warmed up & enjoyed the beauty of a late December day.  In places, if not for the lack of leaves, almost like early spring.  Coco set a nice pace & gaits right along when she's in front.  We brought up the rear with an in-hand trot & the Garmin said we were doing between 6-7 mph.
Coco & Farah~
The hitching post space has been infringed on by a long metal bench on one side & a steel t-post with wire around it on the other.  Both mares recognized the limited room & managed to behave themselves long enough for us to sit & have lunch.
Heading back~
We about froze at lunch - with the stiff, cold wind - contributing to the chill.  The usual quiet of Margaretville broken by a huge dump truck that roared by on the far side of the fence several times, dust flying.  Once we were back into the Timber section though - we really enjoyed the relative noise free beauty of the countryside.  More than once we both had to exclaim over yet another stunning December day.
Farah & Connie
My Garmin had shut itself off once, but I caught it within two-miles.  Regardless - we did make our goal of 400-miles for the year.  It wouldn't seem like much of an accomplishment - until I think of the highway miles it took to get it done.  (The time we tried riding around a corn field - I discovered it's not the place to make the speed it takes to rack up miles.)

I'm done - again - with mileage derby's.  I entered here in Iowa - just for the novelty of knowing we'd come full circle from the first year I'd found this group of Midwest riders on-line.  This season, Farah & I have seen most of the trails within a 100-miles or more from home & driven thousands of miles to do it.  I'm a little tired of the driving, a little tired overall.  There are many days I wish this mare had come along earlier in my life...

I received news today of the death of a long time friend & amazing horsewoman.  Mary held an endurance ride for many years from her home in Oregon.  She & her family graciously hosted the many riders who made it a point to attend.  A friend to all, horse & human - her loss leaves a huge void in the lives of all who knew her...  Ride ON Mary!  May the trails in heaven be beautiful & never-ending ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~