March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, June 8, 2018

Swelterin ~

 Today was one of the hottest & muggiest we've experienced!  Temperature 90 degrees & humidity at 72% gave us a heat index of 107!  I only remember one time in WA that the index went close to 100.  We were at an endurance ride & if it had gone over 100, the ride would have been cancelled.
Farah grazing~
A horses ability to cool, becomes difficult even when standing around, let alone when they're trotting down the trail for fifty-miles.  Farah, always a Prima-Dona - is not happy!  The bugs alone are trying to drive her nuts.  We've used almost a gallon of Pyranha Spray - once in the morning & once in the evening & still they're on her when we arrive.  I'm told it's the spray that works best here, if anyone has any other suggestions, let me know!
At the edge of the shade~
 I put her at the edge of the soy beans, in a little shade, but the creek is near, so the bugs were worse.  Her tail is getting a workout & I'm sure she misses the six inches that she lost last year stepping on it when she had to exit her stall.  It's gaining length again - but I know it will be at least another year before I'm trimming it off the ground.
Dinner~
 After throwing a fit over her rear Shootfly Leggings, she's finally gotten used to them again.  How she manages to beat the rear ones up so badly - I don't know.  Soon we'll be buying another set.  I sure wish I'd thought of them!  We don't have power at the barn - so no fan. Butch is thinking solar, but I'm wondering if in the long run we'd be better off just running the power...
Hot~
Every day, I wish for another cool day, to ride...  I'd love to go to either Waubonsie or Pierce Creek - but I'm far from sure about the responsibility of pulling the trailer with only one working eye...  One of these weekends I'll have Butch go along on a trial run.  I won't feel as worried if he's with me to take over if need be.

It looks like I'm staring down my nose at more tests over the next two-weeks or so.   More Fun...  Not!

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I would melt at those temps. No doubt Farrah would not appreciate a fly sheet in that heat either, though I'm sure she would like to be in her stall with a fan turned on her.
    We get pretty hot temps here too and the humidity - I say thank goodness for air conditioning. My horses stand outside the barn with puppy eyes on hot days after their morning graze, then I let them inside where it's cool until late evening. I have been riding about 8pm when the worst of the heat is over; I don't get home til 10:30 or so, but it's still light out these days.
    Stay cool & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's "warm" that's for sure! Just too hot for the fly sheet... She stays in the barn during the worst of the heat & there's usually a nice breeze going through. Glad you're working rides into your day! You too!

      Delete

Always Welcome~