March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, June 4, 2018

Back in the Saddle Again~

The only cooler forecast day for the next week at least.  This May was the second hottest in history & so far I wonder if June won't be far behind.  With the overcast & temperatures in the low 80's, I was anxious to see how riding would be for me.  I was advised not to, until I see the Cardiologist, but when has that stopped me?

Over the weekend, Butch had set our new hitching rail.  I tied Farah, got her saddled & next thing she spooked straight up - coming down on my foot!  At nothing of course!  Not the best of starts, but once I put my leg over, it felt so right!
Butch setting posts~
I took some really great photos, but they're only in my memory.  At home I went to download them, only to see; "memory card error."  Butch got it working again, but the photos were gone...
Our route~
We'd only gone a short distance, Farah was constantly trying to grab mouthfuls of grass.  I'd tried to take a photo of the long stems waving in the breeze & gotten instantly dizzy.  At that same moment - she violently threw her head back - hitting me in the mouth.  The running martingale (Thank you Dean!) was the only thing that saved me from broken teeth.  Before I had time to react to that - she was backing up like a freight train, toward the trees & drop off to the creek.  I dug my heels in to no avail & yelled; "Whoa" four times.  Her rear hit the trees, as did my helmet.  I thought she was going over with me - but no - she stopped!

I got off fast!  The only thing I could think of - was that she'd either been bitten, or had something fly up her nose.  She hadn't done any head shaking though - even when she'd stopped.  I couldn't see a bite & looked through the grass, almost waist high on me, but didn't find a thing.  Adrenalin pumping - I almost turned back...  Almost...

Instead, I cowgirled up & we continued on.  It's now impossible to see the holes, both due to the high grass & my eye.  On the bright side, the Mulberries are starting to ripen & I found a tree with a few ripe!  Out at the Level B road, Farah was anxious to trot - so we did our mile.  Going back though - I decided to take the same path - since I could almost see our track in the grass.  At times we went between the rows of corn, but once it's taller - we won't fit.
Brand showing~
So far, I've learned that I have to keep my vision focused forward, at least when we're moving.  If I try to do too much looking around, that's when the vertigo kicks in.  I hope with time that will improve & I'll feel more comfortable.

By the time we were back, the sun had burned through the cloud cover.  Butch pulled in as I finished chores.  I'd been so happy to be getting in so many rides this year, but I'm learning that each year seems to bring different riding & weather challenges.  The bugs are out in force, they seem to come with the heat - both of which I'd like to avoid.  Hopeful for a few cooler days here & there~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~