March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, March 11, 2019

Back to our Walk~

With the bright sunshine & warming temperatures, the snow had finally melted enough Nika & I decided to go for it & try our walk.  Our loop is through the timber to the west point of our property along the creek.  Turning back, we follow the creek east past the bottom of our yard & usually up the far side.
Nika willing to lead!  :-)
 On the wind swept portion of the hill, the snow wasn't deep.
Looking SE~
I'm still busy admiring all the work we've done to clear this hillside.
On the lower flats~
Down at the bottom, the snow was deeper & we were sinking in about 6". I managed to kick snow into my boot & had to stop to get it out!
Nika at the creek~
  Most of the ice had melted, the water was at it's usual low levels.  The snow was still drifted deep in places.
Downstream~
One of the bigger jams, most of this has come from the uphill side.
Mountain of debris~
As you can see, the size of the pile is impressive. All the wood debris from above gets pushed over the edge toward the creek. At least it's organics & not trash. I've got to think this would help with the erosion too, I just wish it didn't end up in the creek bed.
Nika~
The deep snow didn't bother Nika. She just goes plowing through & gives a good shake now & then! She loves to stick her nose deep into the snow for an especially interesting smell!
Further down~
You can see why it's our favorite walk. I'm looking forward to better weather so I can get back in here to attack the last two big clumps of greenbriar. There's two big dead tree's that have fallen.  Butch will need the chain saw to drop them, since they're hung up just off the ground.
Spring?
I had to do it!  Just had to put up one of my spring flags!  How often will it fly with so much snow still on the ground?
Linus, Butch & Dean, 3-14-18 ~
Last year, this week, we were spending a fortune & all our free time fencing the farm for Farah!  The weather all month had been just perfect!  If it had been like this year, I think we might have realized that horse-keeping away from home wouldn't be plausible.  Over 30-years ago, I asked Butch if I could have a horse.  His reply was;  "Yes, when you can whistle out the door for it."  He was so right...  We both regret not having a primary member of our animal family still with us, but are thankful, often, she's back in a milder climate.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~