March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Makin' Progress~


A week ago today, we enjoyed the first real spring weather, of the new season.  This week was totally stellar, at least until yesterday.  It was sunny, which was great, but with blowing wind.  Late in the afternoon the temperature dropped ten-degrees & with the wind, it felt much colder!
This morning, after the rain~
I'd been cutting & chopping most of the week, until Wed., when Clara invited me up to divide hosta's & bring home those extra plants! I took the wheelbarrow & by the time we were done, it was full & heavy! I'd thought about where to plant, some spot I could see & enjoy. I decided on the leading edge of the timber.  I worked to cut back more of the honeysuckle. Butch came home & helped. He dug up the area between where I'd planted two sets of daffodil bulbs. Soon the hosta's had a new home & I added three boxwood's.
Morning's brief sun & new corner post~
With all the evening daylight now, we still had plenty of time to plant the corner posts. I found molded aluminum post caps at Menards.
Never-ending trash~
The trash that has been dumped on this property over the years is horrendous... My latest finds include a long kitchen knife, double edged razor blade & the usual miscellaneous rusted metal. Butch found an intact zinc canning jar cap with milk glass insert!
The Cabin~
On Tue. our temperatures climbed to 80 degrees!  It was a perfect day to stain the porch on the Cabin.  I also painted the trim around the sliding door & the trim piece across the front, Butch added.

Our weekend was spent putting in the split rail fence.  I think I'm going to let it age gray before using preservative.  Two people stopped by to ask about the little building, both thought we lived there :-)  With so many people looking for alternative housing since the flood - these storage buildings - are a good option.
New post, SW corner looking east down the creek toward the house~
After all the water that Tinkle Branch carried, there's been a lot of scouring along the banks. The blue post appeared late last fall, right next to our survey marker. Like the surveyor said; you pay for a survey & others try to take advantage. Butch sat our post up ten feet from the actual corner. I'm going to stain this one cedar color to match the others. We'll have our work cut out for us over the summer, clearing all the debris.
Far west property line.  NW & SW corners~
I bought two unknown arborvitae at Sherbony's on Sat. They are pretty ratty looking, but the price was right! I think they may be the Tall Green Giant variety - time will tell if they survive.
Surprise~
By the time we were done, the sunshine was gone & clouds had moved in.  I was really hoping for a little rain to settle the plants.  I walked out on the back deck & looked west.  There - was the top of the SW corner post!  I could just see the silver of the post cap!  I think of the years it took me working our Woods in WA, before we had our first tour group of friends over.  Even though half the size, this property is a challenge.

Last night, the big thunderstorms rolled over.  Much to Nika's dismay - lightening, thunder & a little hard rain too.  Today, the hosta's are an inch taller & temperatures have fallen to the mid-40s!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~