March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Sunshine Days ~

 Last year, we were working on fencing at the farm.  Riding was always my priority, not a lot got done around home.  This year things have changed.  Without Farah, I still feel some-what incomplete.  So many years of self-imposed responsibility & the huge joys (along with the time commitment) that came with it - now over. 
Trail into the Timber~
 With the warm & sunny spring weather, I've found plenty of new challenges to keep me occupied.  I go to the Y, three times a week. The elliptical is my torture of choice, pushing the time, distance & incline, competing against myself.   I've always enjoyed some sort of challenge.  It seems normal after so many years of competitive riding.
June 3rd - Rain~
Our Mills County Naturalist - used the term infestation - to describe all the bush Honeysuckle on our property.  It is truly amazing how quickly these plants sucker, grow & spread.  I've taken down all the huge plants that were on the back side of the south fence.  It's really expanded our view & given the small trees there a chance to grow.

Butch brought me a reciprocating saw with an aggressive blade.  It does a great job of cutting the woody stems down to the ground.  A treatment of Torodon, should kill what's left.   Butch will use the chain saw on some of the largest & we'll probably rent a chipper to get rid of the debris.  It will take years to finish the job.  So far - I have at least five piles about ten-feet high.
Iris
A friend invited me over to collect plant starts from her stunning yard! The Iris above actually bloomed two-days later. I planted it in the corner of the marsh & I hope it spreads! Another friend has given me huge & beautiful hosta's. Those are now in gardens at the edge of the Timber & on each side of the Cabin.
"My" Yard~
The lower backyard used to be such a mess.  All the Autumn Olive here, have been cut down.  The four varieties of edible Elderberry I planted last year - are almost five-feet tall & blooming.  Soon, we'll be able to sample the berries.  We've planted a small White Pine & two Swedish Aspen that I hope don't sucker.
Nika hears Butch's truck!
It's been in the low 90's most of the week with crazy high dew points.  I take my electrolytes, drink water & wear a sweatband.
Awaiting blooms!
The days have been stunning, the ground still damp from all the rain.  Usually, there's a breeze to dry the sweat.  The evenings are warm, the air thick & rich with the smell of blooming flowers & trees.   Earlier this week, the Lightening Bugs returned!   A spark here, there, high in the air!  Giving us notice that summer right is around the corner.

2 comments:

  1. We are having terrifying summer storms here, often at night, and with no rain. In the humid heat, sometimes hail. WTH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrifying is Not Good! It often sounds like our climates are so similar! Today the heavy humidity of "summer" finally made a showing. Fingers crossed - No hail!

      Delete

Always Welcome~