March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, September 27, 2021

False Fall~

 The title of this post is new-to-me term, but it proved to be 100% correct.  Our Omaha weatherman gave the name to last weeks stellar weather.  We had some totally beautiful days.  Temperatures in the 70's, a light breeze, blue sky, I marked several as perfect on the calendar.

Edge of the woods~
The problem is, it didn't last through even the weekend. By Saturday we were back to 90 & it's stayed that way so far this week. I was so happy to be spending September at home for a change, but 90 is a full fifteen degrees above our seasonal norm...
Volunteer Marigolds, with my Red Germaniums~
When I didn't get home last fall, Butch left the marigolds in the ground.  I didn't get them pulled until well into this spring.  To my surprise, I had marigolds sprouting everywhere!  Yes!  No complaints from me!  They've done incredibly well all summer!   
Mid-August~
 The hanging basket at the cabin provided months of colorful blooms!  Finally, though it stayed green, flower production came to a halt.  It came down when the fall decorations went up. The beautiful variegated lavender is now planted in the ground.  I can only hope it survives winter.
Flower bed~
I didn't plant the germaniums along the front of this bed, this year.  The trees have grown & there's now too much shade.  They did fine, a little further down the hill.  The first flower bed I planted, it's a reminder of where I started with this property.  
The Cabin, dressed for fall~
Two of the seven emerald green arborvitae we planted, died.  Luckily, Home Depot had received a few more that weren't totally dried out.  We replaced the two & they all now look like they'll survive.  With the heat, I'm back to watering.  Today, I cut down the echinacea & tossed the seed heads in the woods.  The butterflies were a constant visitor all summer.  

Fall is here!  Our sixth in Iowa on the Home Place!  We had one morning where the temperature dropped just below 40.  I loved the brisk feel in the air & look forward to many more.  Even so, we've had snow flurries in October before!  The days, that go on forever in summer, are quickly shortening as dusk arrives earlier & earlier...  One of my favorite times of year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~