March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Last Days of Summer~

 This is the first September I've been home in three-years.  I'm again, looking forward to enjoying the trails, in the more moderate weather of fall. With today's ride I reached 513-miles year-to-date.  September fourth of last year, (What ended up being my last ride.) riding Speedy, my total mileage was 542.  I'd fully expected to come home the end of the month & continue riding, but that didn't happen.  It's taken a lot more determination - to reach the milestone this year.  Looking back on my first few rides, it's been a long way & not just in miles.

Into the welcome shade!
It had been a week since I'd been on the trail.  As the trees start to drop their leaves, the shade is getting thinner.  Today, was forecast as the coolest for the next several.  Mid-80's didn't seem very cool, with high humidity coming up from the south.  We're supposed to see 90 again over this weekend.  This morning was actually brisk, with a low in the 50's.  A sign fall is around the corner.   

Crops turning gold~
I stopped to chat with Mari Jo.  We're both looking forward to riding, after the shop is closed for the season.  Several riders from out-of-state had visited, just in the last week.  Mari Jo was kept busy fixing flats.

Wild Grapes~
In 2020 my first ride was April first. This year, with early nice weather, we rode around Lake Manawa the first week of March. Even with an earlier start, this summer's heat/humidity didn't provide as many decent days for riding.
Breezy on the Trestle~
May 3rd, was the first ride on the Verve 3.  It took a while to re-adjust to the different pedal position in relation to the seat.  Of the miles I've ridden this year, 434 have been on the Verve.  
Leaving Malvern behind~
I still miss not having Butch waiting for me in Malvern.  It always provided the extra little push that motivated me on this long (for me) ride.  Our new rest break is the picnic table at the little depot.  No one was around today.  The afternoon was only getting warmer & more humid.  I ate a few pumpkin seeds, before starting back.
The golden corn left, soybeans - right~
The Malvern water tower is in the upper right.  The golden crops in the fields are another sure sign fall will be upon us.  Even the smells in the air are changing to drier, more earthy odors.
Creek almost dry, filtered sunshine~
Just a couple other riders were out today, neither took the time to respond to my hello.  Once back at Happy Trails, as I used Breezy' s seat to lift the bike & found myself holding the seat, still attached to the seatpost in my hand!  The entire piece had released from the seat tube.  Upon further inspection, I saw the threads were completely disengaged, under the rubber cover of the shock. 
Threaded ring at the top of the seatpost.  In correct position & tightened down.  The rubber shock cover usually hides this.
 At home, Butch pulled in just as I was unloading Breezy from the rack.  He looked at the seatpost, seat tube etc.  We both thought it strange, so decided to go look at his bike.  His was loose too!  Not completely disengaged, but about half-way.  Since his bike gets less than half the miles mine does, that made sense.  He thinks just the vibration of riding is enough, over time to loosed the cover screw.  I pushed down on my seat, while Butch tightened it back up.  Just an FYI for Verve riders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~