March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Plenty Hot Enough!

 It's summer!?  Weather watching, today was supposed to be a little bit cooler & less humid.  Temperatures dropped last night into the low 70's & we woke this morning to cloud cover.  I was hoping it would stick around, but by the time I left our matt-making group, the sun had burned through.

Smokey enjoys Mari Jo's new concrete patio!
Neither Smokey or I were too enthusatic about going out into the hot sun with the temperature already at 89 degrees.  I told Mari Jo I just planned on going to the Trestle.  She had ridden Monday in the awful heat/humidity & said the ride to the Trestle had been more than far enough.
On our way~
As usual though, as I entered the shade of the trail, the temperature dropped at least 5 degrees.  I wish the heavy shade covered the entire route.  At least this is one of the sections of trail with the most tree cover.
The corn is growing!
No problem this year with the corn being knee high by the fourth of July!  It's already almost taller than I am.  Before long, it will start sweating & the humidy will climb even higher!
Between the rows~
It's sure a different looking crop from when I visited my Grandparent's farm summers.  I can hardly fit between the rows now.  In a couple weeks, it will be impossible.  As a kid, I could ride Topsy between the rows, even when it was higher than her head!
Broken tree, north end of the trestle~
I have an awful time seeing the poor trees broken & battered after these darn wind storms...  It takes a tree so long to grow to any size, then when they get nice & big, the winds take them down.  Mom was always amazed at how fast the trees grew in Washington.  Now I know why.
On the Trestle~
By the time I'd reached the bridge, I was more than happy to turn back.  The biting flies were out in force.  One tried to bite my thumb while I was riding!  Note to self - spray my hands too!
Looking down from the Trestle~
Can you guess the plant?  You for sure don't want to take a walk through here!  The stinging nettles are probably two to three feet tall!

Back in Silver City, my ride had been nine-miles.  I went in to enjoy Mari Jo's AC before heading home.  Tomorrow it's back to trying to catch up with the mowing in the marsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~