March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

August on the Trail~

In the month of August, we've enjoyed almost daily changes in the weather.  With off & on-again rain, then heat & humidity, it had been two-weeks since I'd been on the trail.  Today was mid-80's with some relief from the humidity.  The weather forecast for the weekend & next week - is for record breaking heat - possibly in the triple digits.

Following the Pilot car~
Mari Jo had warned me of the paving project on 278th.  Turning north off Gaston, I was first following the Pilot car.  I was also driving the Bronco.  The Explorer has been in the shop for repair from the bad hailstorm in July.  After the Bronco had been sitting for several years, I had the hood painted a few months ago.  Of course - now the Bronco's hood has damage too, just not nearly as bad.  There's a difference in a vehicle made from Steele & one from Aluminum. 
On the trail~
It felt great to enter the green shade of the trail!  Everything is so lush, it's like a mid-west rainforest.  If we had such a place!  The humidity is higher though, with mature corn fields on either side of the trail.  Especially on days when there's not much breeze.   Today was one of those.
Bicycle Tree~
I stopped by Little Red's Automotive to schedule maintenance on the Bronco.  On my way I couldn't miss the Bicycle Tree & new covered picnic area.  The tree was originally in a small park next the grocery store in Malvern.  When the grocery burned down, the tree was damaged.  Now, the artist has repaired the structure & it seems to have found a new home.
Face on the tree~
Colorful, very inventive & somewhat surreal.  Smokey & I weren't quite sure how we felt about it.  I'm sure there are more bikes than I would believe to recycle each year.  At least these make a statement!  I'm sure the covered picnic table will get a lot of use too.
The treetop~
We retreated back to the park.  Having made better time than I'd expected I was ready for my break.  It was a picture-perfect day for the middle of August.  Such a blue sky & the evenly spaced white fluffy clouds drifting by. 
A summer day in Iowa~
I talked to Butch for a few minutes.  Yesterday he was in Oregon & the temperature was 105.  Today, he was passing Red Bluff; CA & the temperature was 109.  

As I turned back north, the little breeze I'd enjoyed on the way out, was gone.  The late afternoon sun felt & looked strong out in the open.
Hairy Sunflower - Helianthus hirsutus
The sunflowers along the trail are in full bloom & add such a bright spot of yellow to the green backdrop!
Wild Grape~ 
Wild Grape is again taking over any area of the trail where it gets an opportunity!  Trees are fair game & many are covered with the vines.  It's beautiful & provides a carpet of leaves that cover all the broken limbs on the ground.

Back in Silver City, I went into Happy Trails to catch up with Mari Jo.  The two-day Rooster Tail ride this last weekend drew many riders from the Omaha area.  Restaurants & shops were busy!  Since it rained on Sunday, I was surprised the trail didn't show more damage.  I understand many of the riders opted for car rides home.  I was happy to have the trail to myself!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~