March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, September 17, 2023

The Last Sunday of Summer

 When I opened the curtains this morning & looked out, a tiny Hummingbird was checking out the flowers in the pots by the bedroom windows.  I couldn't think of a nicer way to start the day.  We were down to 45 degrees this morning.

It was too beautiful, perfect for a ride.  After lunch I drove to my usual starting spot, Silver City.  I stopped in to say "Hi" to Mari Jo before I left.  There were quite a few bikes in town, several parked in front of the newly opened restaurant "Silver Spokes".  I hadn't been there long, before Mari Jo had a customer.  He had parked his bike in front of the shop windows & left his music blaring.

Into the Shade
As I entered the trail, I actually felt a chill!  The first time in months!  It didn't last long & before I was to the Trestle & decided to take an electrolyte.  The humidity isn't nearly as high as it has been, but I still worked up a sweat.  
Harvest Equipment in the fields~
The harvest equipment is already in the fields.  Before long, all the corn will be down & our wide-open views will return.  We used to laugh when we heard people comment on this - but now understand the sentiment.

After my little fall a week ago Friday, my upper back is still giving me fits.  (I was pulling the mower backward, stepped back & tripped over an old narley honeysuckle stump.  I fell backward & hit the ground hard!) Every time Smokey rolled over a transition from gravel onto a bridge & off, it hurt.  I was happy I hadn't broken something.  I did make good time getting to Malvern.  I rode a loop around town before returning to the park.
Goldenrod~
I took my usual short break.  The geese decided to move from one side of the pond to the other.  I enjoyed watching them take off, then almost instantly land in the water before swimming to the other side.  They could have flown across of course, but obviously taking the water route was more fun.
Bright yellow Cottonwood leaf~
The Cottonwoods are starting to color & drop their leaves.  Such bright yellow spots along the trail.  There were more people on the trail than usual.  With the nice weather, everyone had the same idea.  I was passed by a couple riders - again blasting their music.  They didn't have to bother hailing as they came up behind me.
From the inside, looking out~
Later in the afternoon, I had the trail to myself.  I stopped on the Trestle & it was so wonderfully quiet.  I could almost hear the hum of the earth.  I averaged over ten mph for the third ride in a row.  I think I've reached my peak for this season.  
Back at Happy Trails, Mari Jo had a rider waiting while she repaired his bike.  I said a quick goodbye before heading home. It's the time of year I enjoy most, with more moderate temperatures, cooler nights & beautiful evenings.  I hope these days last a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~