March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Hazy Day - Late Fall ~

 Today was another in a long string of beautiful fall days... If... you can ignore the lack of moisture, third year of drought & warmest October, now November on record.  I was looking forward to taking advantage of the warmth - to enjoy another afternoon ride on the trail.

At the trailhead by Happy Trails, two couples were saddling up to ride their ebikes.  One couple left ahead of me.  I left ahead of the second pair but kept an eye on my rearview mirror.  Soon, I was overtaken in a rush.

Farmer at work~
Happy to see then gone, it was such a beautiful afternoon.  The golden light of the late fall day, was just stunning.
Last of the color~
The last of the colorful leaves looked as though they were lit by invisible flood lights.  The backlighting from the sun highlighted the brilliant, bright orange.  

I hadn't gone far when up ahead, the group of now four ebikes were stopped in the middle of a bridge.  I slowed, hoping they'd move to the side.  They eventually looked up, saw me & did move out of the way.  Now, sadly they were behind me again & again I'd have to watch not to get run down.  It didn't take long & here they came full blast.  No attempt to slow to a reasonable pace as they went by.  I just got off & moved to the side & out of the way.

Just before the Trestle a group of four riders were coming from the south - fast!  Fast enough they were making a dust cloud of their own.  They closed the distance so quickly; I knew these too - had to be ebikes.  Sure enough, no slowing down as they flew past.

Shortly after - I recognized Mari Jo coming toward me.  We stopped on the Trestle for a short chat.  She had been passed by both groups & had noted too, the speeds these riders were traveling. 
Windy at the pond~
It was beautiful at the pond, but the wind had picked up.  I made my usual call to Butch, but didn't talk long, as I wasn't sure how much daylight I'd have left for my return trip.  
More dried weeds~
Riding back north - I was back to enjoying the quiet of the trail.  As the sun dropped lower in the southern sky, the colors became more intense.  By the time I arrived at the Trestle, I had to stop to enjoy the moment.
3:52 p.m. From the Trestle, Silver Creek
Low clouds had partially blocked the sun & turned Silver Creek, silver.  I felt good today, much better than I had on my Sunday ride.  I enjoy the countryside so much.  As I had just crossed a bridge, I checked my rearview mirror to see two of the ebikes right on top of me.  I cleared the bridge, then got off Smokey as they flew past.  They "thanked" me - but I don't think had a clue.  Maybe the polite thing to do would have been to slow down?!
Dust from the road~
Closer to Silver City, a gravel road parallels the trail for a mile or so.  I'd heard a car go by & looking up ahead, the dust was almost as thick as fog.  I waited for it to clear a little before riding through. 
Sunset~
I stopped again to admire the sunset.  All shades of browns & golds.  Continuing back to the Explorer, the last two ebikes returned after I did.  They began explaining to their friends how one of them had wiped out while crossing one of the gravel roads.  I wasn't at all surprised, considering the speeds they travel.  

During my ride, I'd seen eight ebikes & only two cyclists riding traditional bikes.  At this rate, those of us who enjoy a moderately paced, quiet ride will be outnumbered by inexperienced riders on electric motorized bikes, before we know it...  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~