March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, January 31, 2024

First Ride of 2024

 Here it was, the last day of the month of January & I was determined to get in a ride!  Reviews were mixed as to the condition of the trails.  One of my ongoing ride goals is to get in at least One ride every month of the year.  Well...  I made it on the last day! 

My choice is always Lake Manawa's hard surface trails for the wet winter months.  There are other trails in the metro area, but I don't ride roads etc.  Where the trail goes along the busy streets isn't any fun, but there is a wide sidewalk. 

Under Interstate 29~
A train of oil cars was moving slowly under the Interstate.  The wind was blowing toward me, which it always seems to be along here.  I'd parked at the trail head in Council Bluffs.  The E South Omaha Bridge Road was a mess.  Snow from the road was partially covering the sidewalk/trail.  It was sloppy wet, with road grime on everything.  It was a relief when I turned off the road & onto the trail along Mosquito creek.  The full sun had melted the trail clear.
Mid-American Coal Plant~
From there, the trail turns under the rail track & skirts the power plant.  Not too much farther, I turn again & ride along Veterans Memorial Highway.  I cut off that & go through the old campground.  I wasn't sure I'd get through, but I could see enough of it was clear & decided to try.
Snow drifts melting in the old campground~
The drifts were at the south end of the area.  
What's left of the drifts~
Since I could see an end to it, I went ahead & walked through.  By the time I was on the Indian Creek trail, I was glad to close to the southern end of the park.
Indian Creek Bridge~
It was a stunningly beautiful afternoon.  The wind had died down a little, so I didn't have to work as hard as I'd expected.  
The pretty part!
Crossing the bridge & riding onto the southern trail that was re-paved last year, was Grand!  Well worth the miles of riding to get here.
On the way to the lake~
I always cut off & take the road to the lake.  Someone had cleared a narrow section of the trail in the shaded area.  It made it rideable, which I was grateful for.
"My" favorite break spot~
"My spot" has been closed for the season.  I walk around the gate & sit out on the bench before continuing on.  I was sad to see the big old Cottonwoods are being cut down.  They were as straggly as most of the Cottonwoods are - but I had to wonder why they're being cut.  I'll miss them.
Smokey by the frozen lake~
The lake was still frozen over, two ice fishermen walked out just as I was leaving.  I would not have gone out on that ice, but I'm sure they know the lake better than I do.  
My Route
On my way back, I was passed by two men riding ebikes.  Both many years my junior!  By the time I had returned to the Explorer, I'd gone 14-miles & was feeling every single one!  Nothing like the first ride of the season to make me feel all the aches & pains!  With decent weather forecast for next week, I'll have to continue to motivate myself to do it again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~