Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

By Springs End ~

 We've had an amazing spring.  I use the word amazing because we've received the rain we've needed so badly for three-years!  The weather was moderate, up & until the tornado's arrived in May.  Iowa has seen 91 tornado's so far this year, with 38 tornado related deaths...

3-19-2024  First full day of spring~
Since this year is a leap year, March 19th marked the vernal equinox for the northern hemisphere.  This is the earliest date for the beginning of Spring since 1896!  Here at home, I was happy to see the first signs of green & the bright yellow of daffodils!

My second generation of Red Germanium's~
The germanium Courtney sent for me last October - from my original plants - had by now started two more!  All three were doing great!  

4-16-2024 Tulips & Violets~
The yellow tulips I planted in the woods a few years ago, are next to bloom, after the daffodils. The bright spots of yellow are so welcome.  The violets too, have emerged & are in bloom.  In the woods, they work well as a ground cover.

5-19-024 First bloom~
The second generation of my red germaniums have become five!  All are growing, starting to bloom & will be spending the summer on the deck. 
5-25-2024 Mason's Redbud to the left~
With the gifted funds from our friends at mat making, we ordered a Redbud tree to celebrate Grandson Mason's life.  It arrived in good shape & thankfully all the rain will help it to establish.
6-1-2024 Behind the Cabin~
The Hosta's above, I planted on this little hill after it was cleared of the rubbish & debris.  Butch had hauled everything away we couldn't burn. In those days, I did a lot of burning with no issues.  I'm thankful I was able to get it done.  Always living in the county, I didn't even think about being located at the edge of town. The trail down to the woods begins here & it's become one of my favorite spots.
6-9-2024
Last year, when I was searching everywhere for anyone who might have starts of the red germanium, I found a nursery who said they'd be receiving a few of the pink variety this spring.  I ordered one & it arrived in May.  The shipping container kept it almost as fresh as if it had just been potted.  

Appleblossom Germanium~ 
Instead of the usual marigolds, I decided to try planting the entire row with Zinnia seeds.  Butch was here to get the dirt loosened for me.  I planted about 12 envelopes of seeds.  About half the Lilliput variety & the other half a medium size of mixed colors.  It seemed to take forever for them to sprout. Now, with all the recent rains, blooms are appearing!  

6-15-2024 - Zinnia's~
Color will be next!  A few volunteer marigolds have sprouted too & I've left them.  I don't quite have the room, before the hill drops off - for two rows.  All the rain has invigorated the bugs though.  I've never seen so many ants & I've had to spray the Zinnia's twice so far. 

Tomorrow, summer will arrive!  We've already had quite a run of heat & humidity, with a warm & humid summer forecast.  At least the rains have revived the landscape.  We've enjoyed some of the nicest spring weather I can remember since we moved here.  Bye spring - Hello summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~