Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Under Attack~

 It was another in a string of sunshine & a bit cooler days in the mid-70's.  We'd received .15 of rain earlier in the morning, just enough to raise the humidity.  This September is set to be the driest on record. With the dry weather, the humidity has dropped too.  

Mari Jo's run-a-way pansies~
I drove to Happy Trails & couldn't believe how Mari Jo's pansies have spread.  Twice the size of last years & flowers growing even along the edge of the curb!  I hadn't been on the trail for ten-days, still catching up with the work at home.
On the trail~
By the 13th, the private sewer project had turned the corner of Grove & started up our street.  The noise of the heavy equipment starts early each morning.  The dust has been horrific, so bad I don't even want to be out in it.  I was ready to get away for the afternoon!
A perfect September day~
It would have been a perfect day if not for the biting bugs!  I had sprayed down before I left home.  It didn't do any good at all.  Every time I stopped; I was under attack.  All the riding I've done on the trail the last few years & I've never seen the bugs so bad.
Shadow turns over 400-miles~
Shadow turned over 400-miles today.  I appreciate this bike so much, especially when riding into a strong wind.  I haven't ridden the hilly sections for a while, but if we ever get cooler weather I will be.
Thunderheads~
The clouds kept building, so beautiful to watch.  I continued on to Malvern.  Two men were digging on both sides of the trail.  Instead of going further, I took the streets & rode my loop through the edge of town in reverse, only in reverse.
Arch at the Depot in Malvern~
I rode back to the park, but even there the bugs were after me. 
Silver Creek from the Trestle~
I made good time, even into the wind going back north.  I was the only rider on the trail.  The level of the creek has dropped again, after the rains we'd received in August.  Now, with the farmers starting to harvest the fields, the dust will be thick on the trail. I was lucky we'd received the tiny bit of moisture this morning that settled the dust.
Greens, Golds & Blue~
A picture-perfect afternoon.  Back at Happy Trails I asked Mari Jo what type of lubricant to use on my chain.  She came out & looked at the derailer & chain on Shadow.  It was dirty!  The grime from the limestone was almost rock hard & had packed into any tiny space available.  She suggested washing the chain with Dawn, then rinsing it, drying it & using a dry lube.  I bought a bottle. I'll have to wait for the weekend to work on the chain.  Weekends are a sanity saving grace period from the construction. 

Heading home, I couldn't help but think of all the time & education Mari Jo has dedicated to the riders on the trail.  The permanent closure of the shop in October will be a sad time for so many of us~  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~