March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, July 24, 2017

Lake of Three Fires~

A cooler day, lower humidly & the yearn to see new trails!  We were on the road early for the 100-mile drive to Lake of Three Fires State Park.  Butch & I first visited here on the fifteenth to help local riders do some trail-clearing.  We saw enough of the park - to make me want to bring Farah & see the trails from the saddle.
 It seemed like a long drive down - but well worth it!
Beautiful camping~
I'd picked up a map.  The trails where Butch & I had cleared were at south end of the lake - I rode out that direction.  What plan I had - was to ride the trails closest to the water all the way around.
Signage~
The signage couldn't have been better.  The Rangers had driven us over the bridge below before dropping us off, so I knew we were heading the right way.
Bridge Ahead~
Farah stopped to look - almost in surprise - then walked across - the concrete making a hollow sound.  At the first fork, we turned right & soon were rewarded with our first view of the lake.
From the south~
There was a footpath & narrow bridge below us, our trail turned to my left.
Another sign - with a notation in red - that the it was eight-miles around the lake!
Looking north~
We were in the shade, the bugs weren't too bad & there was a cool breeze.  The map showed more trails, too fun!
One of the wider trails~
The scenery was stunning!  No, it's not the high country, nor the wild beauty of the Western States, but for the heart of the Midwest - it's a gem.
First of the ponds~
We came upon one of the ponds, there are four on the map, along with two large wetland areas.  Wetlands are so rare here & there's an effort to restore them.
Across the dike~
The day was heating up - we both looked forward to the next section of trees as the trail wound around.  The next pond had a picnic table & we crossed another dike before dropping down to the edge of the lake again.
Looking back south at the lake~
The trail did a super job of winding from up on the hillside, back to the waterfront & we enjoyed several great views from different points along the shoreline.
Close to the north end~
Still following the signposts, we'd found the point where the trail turned almost due south, back toward camp, or up & onto what I'll call the perimeter trails.  My Garmin was showing just over six-miles - I decided to forgo our ride around - for seeing more trail!  We took the left fork at the "Y" that turned north.
Blooming lily's
It took us to yet another pond, where the water lily's were in full bloom!
Going up~
From there, we were on an overgrown two-track that eventually took us back into the woods & past an amazing wetland.
Wetland~
There was absolutely no movement in the water.
From the far end~
I didn't see another wetland?  But we did find the another pond.  We'd been going along the west boundary of the park.
Pond furthest west~
I stopped to take a photo when I heard a dry rustling sound & Farah jumped!  I looked up to see a Huge doe go jumping & running across the hillside on the far side of the fence.  It is Totally amazing how high they jump & how fast they go!
Young buck
By the time I'd collected Farah & got my camera ready - I caught a quick shot of a young buck - following the doe.  Just a short trot further & we made the turn back onto the trail where we'd started our ride.  Once back at camp, I looked around & found a trail heading to the north.
North trail bridge~
When we'd made the turn at the top, I'd ridden down the trail way & could just see a bridge.  Now, after another short trot, I recognized the same bridge, only from the other direction.  I was glad I'd decided to turn & follow the perimeter trails back.
A drink~
There was actually a little creek here that horses could access, with rock, rather than the usual mud.  I think Farah was as surprised as I was.  This is the first time she's been able to get a drink on the trail.
Our route~
We covered twelve-miles & appreciated every one.  Back in camp I used our new hose & nozzle to spray Farah down.  Much easier & faster than using buckets!  She even allowed me to spray her face - a first!
Drying in the shade~
 We'd ridden the trails for a little longer than the round-trip drive time.  A perfect place for a weekend camping trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~