March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, November 27, 2017

Glen Cunningham Lake - Revisited!

I'd been wanting someone to show me the way around this lake since my attempt in early July.  That time I'd turned back when I'd seen signage saying no horses were allowed in the campgrounds.  The trail we were on had dropped us there & I didn't continue on.
Farah getting some greens!
Today, Margie was nice enough to act as our trail guide & I was really looking forward to the day.  The weather was cool & overcast when we started out, but perfect for riding.  The forecast called for a high of 70!
The lake from the hillside~
 We left on the same trail that Farah & I had used.  I was interested in seeing where we'd gone astray.
Amazing home~
This home looks like it could be in the mountains of Colorado.  With the view of the lake, I'm sure it's stunning inside.
Margie & Coco saying;  "We go this way!"
At the campground where I'd turned back, Margie showed me where the trail continues along the edge.  The day I was here, a tent was set up near the fence & the trail hadn't been mowed.
In the "Magic Woods"~
Margie told me to get my camera ready & Wow!  As I told her, it was like riding in what I used to call the "Deep Dark Woods" at Victoria in WA.  A beautiful area, almost making me homesick for our old trails.
With most of the leaves down ~
 Here we are nearing the end of November & as the day went on - the temperatures climbed.  Coco set a nice moving pace of 3.6.  Both mares were sweating with their winter coats.
A tentative new friendship :-)
Our mares were friendly toward each other, which made it nice for us.  Farah brought up the rear & though it's never her favorite thing - she handled it better with a faster pace.
Stunning views~
We stopped at this high point.  Just an amazing view of a large open space surrounded by urban development.  Maybe similar to Marymoor Park in Redmond, WA.  At least in the days before it became more commercial.
At the dike~
By now, I recognized we were on the far side of the lake.  We'd parked on the far side.  All the trails were pleasant.  Margie asked if I was ok with bridges?  I replied in the affirmative.  Well...  Let that be a lesson to me - Farah refused this one.  The transition concrete block going on was different than any she's seen.  When she did decide to go, the sound was much different from the wood plank or lightweight concrete she's used to.  I didn't want to end up in the creek below, there's no photo :-)
Our rigs on the far side~
A huge lake, it was fun to look across & see our trucks.  Not so fun to cross a busy highway not once, but twice to get back to the trailers.  There are four additional miles of trail on the far side.  Somewhere else to check out.

Back at the parking area, we brushed the mares, then sat out for a while.  Nice to enjoy the warm sunshine, before the drive home.

4 comments:

  1. WOW.....you really log your riding time well. Such lovely photos and nice commentary. Love the outside edge of your blog with the juniper berries. They are the most beautiful color. Thanks again for going with me. There is safety in numbers.

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~