March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

In The Sun~

Crossing the Long Bridge~
Our weather presented us with an unusual two days of gray - yesterday being a day so reminiscent of western Washington - I mentioned it to several friends.  The weather report did not disappoint though & today was a dazzler.  When I went to pick Farah up, the hill in her run was so slippery we both about fell.
Farah's favorite place along the trail~
If Waubonsie had been my only choice, I'm sure the trails there would have either been closed, or too slick to ride.  Wednesday's are the day the gun range at Pierce Creek is open, no fun going there.  Again, I was thankful we've discovered the Wabash.  Less than half the drive for double the saddle time, works for us.
Interesting~
I'll be sending in my check so I can attach a trail pass to my saddle...  I have to wonder if the mountain bike riders who are also allowed to use the horse trail have to do the same?  Are these fees in addition to the $1. per day or $12. for the annual pass posted on the sign at the trail-head? 
Through the invasive Honeysuckle bushes~
Even if it's Honeysuckle, it reminds me just a little of our old Washington trails where the Salmonberry grew thick & green along side.  The Honeysuckle seems to withstand the freezing nighttime temperatures better than most of the other shrubs.
Last of the Oak leaves in the Timber~
We have about two-miles of traffic noise to get to the 3+ miles of relative quiet.  Our favorite section is through the Timber.  One of my bucket list goals is to visit the some of the remaining stands of Timber in the Midwest. 

About the last mile to Margaretville is actually- almost - just - the pure sound of the countryside.  Quiet, even here - is something difficult to come by.  Having said that, we still enjoy a level of quiet I hadn't appreciated enough our first years on the Homestead.
That it is!
No one was around when we arrived for our lunch break.  I'd let Farah graze several times on the way down.  At most road crossings there's tall green grass & of course we spend time both on our way south & back north at the grassy field.
My good mare at the hitching post~
I walked back a way to check out the trail, too heavily overgrown to go any further, but Butch & I did some exploring last Sunday.  Butch is the one who said;  "If there's a hitching post here, then horses must have been able to access the trail further south."
Farah on-high~
We both have always loved high spots.  Here, high spots are at a premium.  Who can complain about territorial views like these?
Us~
The variety of the leaves on the ground only reinforce the variety of the trees in the Timber.  The oak, maple & others I've yet to recognize.  The sun is on our right side on our way out & at the end of the afternoon, on our left coming back.  Someone tossed in a couple good bucks today!  The wind was pretty fierce when we were returning.  An occasional hard gust put us both a little on edge.  Hearing the trees groan & creak is interesting too :-)
On the final leg~
Butch has promised me new shocks on the Bronco.  That will make a drive southeast to Pierce Creek much more pleasant.  I have to hope the weather holds for more riding, as the sun sets a little earlier each day.  Both daylight & temperatures in the low 50's will come at a premium, soon I'm sure!

4 comments:

  1. Here we mostly ride on own own trail system, but occasionally we go to a National Park. 2017 is 150 years of Canadian Confederation, so access to all the National Parks has been FREE all year!
    I would gladly trade weather with you, but you'd be getting the soggy end of the stick. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you :-) You probably saw what happened to "mine". How many miles do you have? Free is Good! I have a senior pass to our National Parks, free anytime & a guest too! I'll take the sun!

      Delete
  2. Connie! Thank you for checking in with me...it looks like you and Farah are enjoying IA. I have not been on the horses for quite a while...this makes me want to get going again. I have been riding my bike trying to get more healthy and it also helps me with my balance. Balance will be good when it comes to riding again. :-) Great pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Karen, I'm working on my space perception. It is drastically changed. Was just wondering the other day what bike riding will be like now...

      Delete

Always Welcome~