March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, May 31, 2018

Adjustments ~

Riding into the sunset~
How does a person adjust to vision loss?  To pick one sense over another would seem contradictory. Vision, is so much of how we perceive our world...  I'm in somewhat of a funk, that is certain.  What vision the eye has, is worse in the morning.   If the weather would cool down a bit, I'd be in the saddle & that would make me feel better...  Instead we're breaking records for heat.  End of May?  It's more like mid-July & taking a toll on the flowers, the early garden plants & me.

Late Tuesday afternoon, it cooled down.  Thunderstorms were in the forecast - so no point in heading to the farm.  I worked outside weeding my marigolds.  The cool air, gray skies & wind felt so good.  Even weeding is difficult now, without depth perception - differentiating between a thin weed & thin stem of a flower wasn't easy.  When the thunder, lightening & rain hit - Butch had just gotten home & called me up from the backyard.  We sat out for a long while - just enjoying the smell & the sound of rain~

I'm unstable too, the ground looks to be almost in my face & perfectly flat.  I know how far to lift my foot for a step, but if there's slight incline or decline - I don't see it.  I did some research & decided to buy myself a new toy - Trekking poles.
My new toys~
I did a lot of looking & as with all outdoor equipment, you can spend as much or as little as you want.  I settled for good reviews & moderate price.  I've been practicing on our big hill in the back yard & it's crazy how much easier they make things & how much more secure I feel.  I figure the last thing I need is to fall & break something.

The google support group I've joined does help.  Reading what others have gone through & tried is interesting & I can ask questions.  My good eye gets so tired & even my brain has a difficult time, since it spends the day trying to reconcile vision with blotches.

My new NP, after checking my balance, suggested physical therapy in Council Bluffs.  That's scheduled with a therapist that specializes in patients with vision problems.  I'm looking forward to being given something to work on.  I'm also going to consult with a naturopathic Doctor & make changes in my diet.

I'm reading the book;  Blind Faith - by John Crittenden.  A real eye-opener if you don't mind the pun.  World wide, there are 285 million visually impaired people, of which 246 had low vision & 39 million were blind.  The cost in Canada & the US alone is over $49 billion/year.  The drug companies make a fortune on eye injections.

4 comments:

  1. I've followed your blog since you were in Washington. I'm the one who comments once in a blue moon about how awesome Farah is. I'd love to hear about your journey back into riding after your vision loss, because I'm still struggling to ride with my loss in range of motion in my hip. I can't mount or dismount without kicking my poor horse in the rump, and I don't have good balance, so I often fall in the process. I was so sorry to hear about your eye. I do not think your blog is sharing too much of your personal life. I have no idea why someone would think such a thing. Don't let it bother you. This is important information. Someone who rides as often as you and who truly loves it is not going to let vision loss stop her from continuing to ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you again! I did not know about your hip. Be sure you take a good supplement for joints. It may slow me down some, for a while anyway, but I still hope to get to a ride this year!

      Delete
  2. Did not know about your vision issues. I hope you get better.

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~