March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, July 6, 2018

Invincible~

More than once lately, I've wondered what it is about the human race that makes so many of us feel like we're invincible?  Youth - yes - your invincibility quotient is at 100%.  Middle age - maybe you've been hurt a couple times & have finally figured out that you may not be?  But when those senior years - roll around - realization hits - you aren't.  My confidence has taken a beating with the vision loss.  The bug related difficulty our last ride has me leery now, too.

With all that's happened in the last few weeks, I'd gone a month without riding.  The longer it gets, the easier to make excuses.  Today, the coolest of probably the entire upcoming month - I decided to buck up & ride.
On our way~
The bugs were awful!  Farah tosses her head so violently I have to stay well clear & that makes getting her tacked up more difficult.  The large blank spots in my field of vision don't help.
One of Bill's Civil War Cannons~
Anywhere near the fields, the bugs come out in hoards.  I decided to play it safe & stay on the roads.  They found us there, Farah almost squatted to the ground when one bit her!  I can't use the Pyranha spray on her anymore.  It literally peeled the hair right off the drip lines on the backs of her legs & left the skin raw & red beneath.  Now we're using an all natural product & though it doesn't work as well, at least the hair has grown back on her wounds.
Farah at Jean's
Since we were on the road anyway - I decided to go visit Jean.  A good goal, I looked forward to seeing how Jean was recovering from her recent health issues.  We made it!  Even with head tossing, jumping sideways & constant stops to knock off bugs.  Don offered to take Farah off to graze so Jean & I could visit.  So very nice of him.  We both got a laugh out of the two of us discussing our Doctor visits - just like a couple ole ladies.  It was the first time I'd ridden Farah in the Shoofly leggings.  They stayed up fine & she used them to itch her face.  
A garden of Sunflowers~
When I went back out, Don said Farah had gone all the way down on her side to get rid of a biting bug, but didn't roll on her saddle!  He'd taken her to the clover & shade.  He also offered her a bucket of fresh water - but she declined.  
A beautiful drive~
On our way back, we went to see if our friend Carol was home.  I shouted out a couple times, but no response.  Again, I let Farah graze a little in the shade before starting back to the farm.
Tassels on the corn~
The corn is thriving in all the heat, rain & humidity.  We're now only 1.5 inches below our normal in rainfall.  It's the humidity that's made these last weeks such a bear.
Black with sweat~
We did trot, then gallop up our running hill road.  The surface is already getting overgrown with weeds!  The sides were pretty rutted from all the rain, but we had a nice area right in the middle.  With the heat, I didn't push & neither did my girl.  Her knee is healing up nicely.  I think even Farah now has some idea she too - may not be invincible!  :-)
Back on the Farm~
When we got back to the top of the farm, Farah stopped to look over the direction of her little escape a week ago today.  The horses were not in view.  I sternly said;  "You don't Go there!" for whatever good that might do :-) 

After her bath, I rubbed her down with a fresh towel & took her on a walk.  I decided we would visit Snowball, Janice & Dean's calf.  She's so cute & doing so well now!  She spends the hottest part of the day in a big pen in the machine shed with a nice breeze blowing through.  Farah walked in, stopped & starred as Snowball got to her feet.  Then to my surprise, stepped up & put her nose on the enclosure wire, not an inch from Snowball!  It was Snowball who retreated of course & I could just see Farah's confidence level climb!  I told her she has a new friend!  We'll see if this improves her overall impression of cattle!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing on what a difference just a day makes.....and then another...and another.......Everything is temporary. Glad you had a ride.

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~