March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Spa Day~

It's taken me weeks to get an appointment finalized to replace Farah's shoes.  The best Farrier in two states has a busy schedule.  Farah is just one mare & he makes the road-trip just for her.
After her bath - watching for the bugs!
I got out to the farm early.  Dean had mowed down the hip high grasses & weeds were already growing up since the last time it was done.   I'd pre-sprayed the area first with Pyranha - in the hope it would help with the bugs.
Time to help with the grass trimming~
Last Thursday, we decided to take our lawn chairs over to the pasture & sit in the shade to let Farah graze, since the hot wire is not yet installed on the top of the pasture fence.  Butch had walked her along the road to get there, the walkway by the creek is still so muddy from all the rain.  He'd no more than gotten her in the gate - than she was attacked!  It was just crazy how quickly these huge flying insects came at her out of the corn!  It was like something from a horror movie!  She reared into the air, jumped up & lashed out with both hind feet, narrowly missing Butch.
Her tail dries almost instantly!
He turned her loose, but after trying to take a few bites of grass, she was attacked again.  She flew past us, up the walkway at a run & leaped the creek to get back to the barn.  Even covered in fly spray - it just wasn't enough...

Today, I had the hose on full blast & as the bugs came - I sprayed them away.  I finally got close enough to see some of them were Japanese Beetles.  Everything I've read says they do not bite.  Miss Hypersensitive must think - if it flies - it bites. :-)  It took some good hose blasts to keep them off.  I've figured out the generator now.  It runs the pump for the well & I can start it the first try.  It's just the noise, that takes away from the enjoyment we both get from her bath.

I occasionally drive by a small herd of Quarter Horses out in a pasture.  They graze, tails flying, with occasional body shakes.  They seem more stoic - over the constant irritation.  But I also think being surrounded by planted fields contributes to the problems we're having.  We know now, after seeing Farah's violent reaction on Thursday - it was probably buzzing insects that drove her to jump out of her corral.  John told me he's seen them drive a horse right through a fence.  That does not surprise me now.  After her bath, I took her inside to dry & put on her fly sheet. It's staying in the mid-80's & even though the humidity is high - it's been higher.
A very dry face now~
Ryan came about 5 p.m.  He did have to make a comment about us keeping what kind of animal in that corral? :-)  My usual concerns that grew in the damp climate of the great Northwet, were again not an issue.  There was plenty of hoof growth, healthy feet & good walls.  Ryan is leaving a little more hoof & the sole has a nice cup to it - great for riding on the gravel roads.
Armor :-)
Of course, we discussed horses, bugs & the weather.  Ryan says he knows people who talk about how hard winter is on horses.  In fact, though - it's the summer's heat & resulting bugs that take their toll - even on healthy horses.  We're expecting a bit of a cool down.  I hope so!  Even with the humidity - out of the 90's seems ever so much better!

1 comment:

  1. It seems like our lives have become parallel, with your weather and bugs so similar to here, in contrast with Seattle. Ticks, horseflies, and yesterday I got bitten 4 times by one angry fire ant stuck in my shoe as I mowed my lawn. It hurt so bad my entire leg was on fire before I could make it to the house and put medicine on it. Horseflies hurt, but fire ants are worse, and both have a particular liking of how I taste. I'm a pin cushion right now. I agree that Summer is way harder on horses than Winter. They say the horseflies are reliant on the grain crops, because the males are vegetarians, and once harvested, they go away. That is the end of August here. Looking forward!

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~