March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, July 27, 2018

To The Hill's!

 After the month we've had - Butch was home - the weather was moderate & my husband agreed to drive Farah & I to Waubonsie!  When Farah saw the truck & her trailer coming down the road she was the most excited I've seen her in forever.  She was more than ready to jump in the trailer & when we arrived - instantly recognized where we were.  I couldn't believe it had been almost nine-months since our last visit.  Last year, we'd ridden here fourteen times.
Butch with Farah~
Farah made us promise not to show the above photo to anyone!  :-)  She'd only worn her Cashel Quiet Ride fly mask once in WA.  On that ride, after the first few miles, she was tossing her head letting me know she wanted it off!  I took a good look at the fit today & decided the piece that covered her nostrils was probably what she didn't like.  It makes it hard for her to get air if she has to breathe through the mesh.  I folded it up & put it under her nose band.
Into the shade~
The temperature kept climbing, probably into the mid-80's, but the humidity was less than it has been.  The bugs though - were out in force.  The horse fly's started landing on her ears, even with her ears covered.  I pulled out my little bottle of spray & that helped to keep them off.
Dry!
I was surprised at how dry the ground was!  So dry, almost powdery & a grayer color than I'd remembered.  Though there were several trailers at the park, hardly any of the spots had been reserved.  We'd expected it to be full.  We did find the beautiful orange lily we first saw last year.
Lush, green grass~
We took what had become our usual route from last year.  Farah remembered every break spot & loved the fresh green growth.  We'd go through area's where the bugs were bad, then others where there were almost none.
Sweat~
We both worked up a sweat in no time.  She wanted to blast up the hills, but after seeing the condition of the trails, we had to be ever so careful.  The rains had again rutted the surface, in places leaving holes over a foot deep.  My confidence is back, but it's disheartening to not be able to see enough to enjoy the vista's as much as I used to.
Upper trail~
We did our usual long trotting trail at full speed, but I'm hearing clicks with the new shoes.  More as our speed increased.  The first time this has happened - with this farrier.  I hope he'll find time to make whatever adjustment is needed.  We did a lot of galloping.
Tree down~
It was really sad to see one of the really tall trees on the trail I call;  "Tall Trees" down...  This is such a low protected area - it had to take a lot of wind to uproot it :-(  This trail reminds me of a WA trail more than any other I've been on - even if the trees are deciduous.
Deer~
Our second time around the top loop, Farah was spooked when we heard a crackling noise directly behind, us on a corner.  Two deer jumped up & took off across the gully.  Why we didn't spook them the first time around is beyond me.
Back in camp~
Butch & Nika had taken a hike & Butch was reading in the shade when we returned.  We'd done all the trails & a couple twice to get in just under ten-miles in two-hours.  Plenty of work for us both after such a long time.  1,200 ft. of elevation gain in that distance is a lot!
Clean!
Farah loved getting her bath & having Butch there to pamper her.  A few more trailers had come in, but all the other riders were out on the trails.  We hadn't seen anyone our entire route, which I loved.  We sat out for a while enjoying the afternoon, before loading back up.
Red-Tailed Hawk~
We stopped for dinner in Tabor, before going back to the farm.  Butch brought the truck & trailer down the hill from the top & as he did said, Look, a big bird is on the machine shed."  He stopped; I got out the camera & managed to get the photo above.  What a stunning bird.  He sat there for several minutes posing - before flying off.  Fitting end to a really fun day~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~