March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, September 7, 2018

On the Back Roads~

A gray Friday.  I wasn't supposed to ride for two weeks.  Like that's going to happen!  When a decent weather day comes along it's got to be taken advantage of.  If it weren't for my being able to ride out from the farm, on the back roads, the wetter than normal summer would have limited my riding even more.
Looking down at the farm~
We'd helped friends haul cut trees & branches in the early afternoon, but Butch had his afternoon bus route & an activity into the evening, so I had plenty of time left to ride.
Taking in the views~
Farah felt my mood on this day.  She stopped several times on her own, just to look across the countryside.  It's amazing how quickly the soy beans are turning from green to gold.  There was a light wind, coming from the east, which seems a little unusual out here.
Don & Farah
We stopped at Don & Jean's.  Farah's favorite place to visit.  Don took her off grazing, which they both enjoy, while Jean & I chatted.  We waited for the grandchildren's school bus to arrive.
Enjoying the horse :-)
As usual, Farah was more interested in all the bright green grass than she was in the kids :-)  Of course her grazing time has been way more limited than we'd imagined when we did all the work to put in fencing for a pasture for her.  A pasture hardly used - due to the incessant attacks from all the buzzing, biting insects...
Thanks for the great photo Don!
I look about as under-the-weather as I've been feeling lately, but the mare looks as magnificent as a three-year old.  When the Vet was out to take care of her leg, he commented that she looked very young for her age.  Only twelve, she has many, many good years ahead of her.
The way back~
Again, Farah stopped on her own to take a long look...  I do spoil her, our rides have always had to be fun for us both.
Lunch Break~
We stopped at Carolyn's driveway for our short break.  It wasn't that long of a ride, I didn't want to push my luck.  I hadn't had lunch & had brought a few peanut butter filled pretzels :-)   We did some trotting, where I worked to minimize any bounce & a couple short gallops.
Iowa Windmill~
Such an impressive landscape, one I never tire of & constantly changing.  The view from the saddle reminds me of the title of a book by a well-respected endurance rider;  Julie Shur.  Ten-Feet Tall Still,  is an interesting story of one woman's journey on horseback.  
Heading West~
Farah & I haven't traveled the world, but we too, have had our adventures.  It's all about perspective & mine has been those few feet higher - so much grander - to enjoy the wonders of nature from Farah's saddle...


By the time we were back at the farm, Dean & Janice were taking care of their calf.  A good chance to get a photo of the two of them with Farah.  Both such kind people.  Farah & I have been blessed by their generosity.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Connie for reminding me of something I'd forgotten - horses who stop to enjoy views! Wow I've got to get home.

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~