March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Longest Ride~

When it comes to horses, I was born with them in my blood.  I'm sure the genetic testing that's being done - will show a specific - unidentified gene mutation.  My passion since I can remember, the equine species has dominated my entire life.  My maternal grandfather, who I may have inherited a heart mutation from, is also the one who loved horses his entire life.

Dean once said;  "If you are lucky enough to have that horse-in-a-million, it's your obligation to put them to the best use."  A using horse is a happy horse & that's been true for Farah.  We've traveled close to 6,000-miles together - a long, long way.  We've had some incredible adventures & seen some magnificent country.  She has never let me down & proven herself to be one of the fastest, strongest & finest of athletes.  A tribute to her species.

Bringing her with us to Iowa was a difficult decision.  I knew it would mean many changes.  What I didn't realize, was how far the reality of the riding opportunities & horse husbandry in this state differed from my childhood memories.
After her bath~
Butch & I agreed to give the move time, to see just how much riding I could do here & what arrangements we could make that would work for Farah.  The riding was dismal.  Mostly due to the distances I had to travel to find any miles of trail at all...  Last year's 400-miles of trail time took 4,000-miles on the road to accomplish.  

Once we moved Farah to the private farm, it was much nicer for all of us.  I could ride out from the farm & that was wonderful.  No longer totally dependent on the weather & whether the horse parks were open or closed.  But again, she was the only, lonely horse.  She handled it well, she handles everything well...  We didn't expect that being surrounded by planted fields would cause the ongoing problems with flying pests that drove her to jump her 5ft. corral fence.  That jump resulted in the first injury she had ever sustained.  Thankfully, not serious.

This spring, with the loss of vision in my eye, my world started changing faster than I could have ever expected.  I'll find out shortly with the final genetic test - if it's an inherited issue - which the Cardiologist is 99% sure it is.

Watching Farah standing in the heat & humidity this summer, sweat dripping in a constant stream down her legs, was awful for us both.  No electricity, so no fan.  Last winter, she was the only horse at the stable who stood out in an ice storm.  I went out to see her & found ice hanging from her mane.  Realistically, there are a few weeks in the spring & a few in the fall that are perfect for riding.  The rest of the year requires true grit!
Farah's home~
It took me by surprise when I received an email from Farah's breeder, asking if there was any chance I might be willing to consider a care/lease arrangement.   Renee is an accomplished horsewoman, having spent many years in the Thoroughbred industry, before starting her own sport horse breeding program.  Her 20-acre farm is near riding trails.  Our plan is to further Farah's training toward dressage - a goal that I've had for a long while.

As with any time you make plans to transport an animal, you are at the mercy of the hauler.  Our original time frame was delayed by over a week.  That week was one of the best & worst I've ever gone through.  For Farah too, I think.  Farah reads me like a book & she knew I was very sad.  On the last ride from the farm, she came to a halt at the top of the last large hill & stood gazing out over the countryside for several minutes.  She had never done that before.  I, of course, started crying.  I put my hand on her shoulder & the two of us were one...

Sat. after her bath at home, we returned her to the farm for her dinner, while we went up to Tobey Jack's for ours.  When we got back to the farm, Farah would not let Butch halter her.  She went into her stall.  I walked up with the halter & she dropped her head into it, then held her head next to my body...  Once back home, she was happy to be grazing.  We sat out in the dark watching her, enjoying our family time - for one last time.

Farah raised her head when she heard the semi...  She knew...  Butch went over to help the driver load her boxes.  I sent all of her blankets, tote of grooming supplies & enough zip-locked food for a couple weeks!  Then, the back doors opened...  I walked her over, tuned to the rhythmic sound of her shoes on the paving. She was right by my side as I handed her lead over... Stepping up & in like the professional she is.
A last view~
I spoke her name & she turned to look for me.  The doors closed & I had to walk away...   Today, when I saw the first recording of my heart, the technician could actually see the time of Farah's departure.
Leaving Iowa~
Our last ride, we rode through water on the trail! Very rare here! Farah just loved it! She took a big drink of the fresh water, then splashed several times! I knew how much she'd missed the rivers of Washington.
Fitting~
This photo is fitting as our last...  Me - only a shadow on her back, camera in hand.  So sad, yet so happy & relieved that she will be back on a private horse farm, in her home state.  A much more moderate climate, trails nearby, excellent care & other horses for companionship.  I look forward to getting updates on how Farah settles in & the next phase of her life.  I've already made plans to visit her in Feb. 

11 comments:

  1. This sounds like the best possible arrangement,but oh gosh, so very difficult for you. My heart goes out to you Connie. You've been very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this brought tears to my eyes. I know how much you love that mare. Im sad for you but know you did the right thing for Farah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Connie. I'm sobbing. Hugs & love to you! Ody & I will make it a point to go & visit her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very bittersweet. My heart reaches to you through this transition. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs my friend. I am sorry to hear you are facing this difficult chapter in your life. I hope you can visit and ride often. I left my Bella in WA too to keep her comfortable. Alaska is sounding less challenging than Iowa. You did what was best for her, as only a true horse mother can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I"m so sorry there will not be more between the ears of Farah from you. New adventures await, but wow, you're such an amazing team.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bright side of this is that you did what was most probably best for Farah, and that will make the decision livable if not joyful. Where is her new home?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a beautiful read. I started crying for you both but I'm sure you did the right thing. I don't know if I would have been able to do that. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Connie, Life has kept me from following your journey and from riding my own horses. I just happened to see a post on Facebook and now understand what has happened. My heart aches to hear of your situation, of being without Farah close to you, yet happy to hear you will see her again. I am in the process of selling two of my beloved horses because "Life is what happens when you're making plans." Better yet, Proberts 16:9 says, "We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps." Blessings to you, my friend, and prayers for all good things in life as your journey continues.

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~