March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, September 24, 2018

Italy - The Flight Home~

Up early, breakfast was included with our room.  With plenty to choose from, neither of us was really hungry yet.  We were catching the earliest shuttle we could.  We wanted plenty of time to check on the status of our seats & clear customs.  We'd been notified our flight was running well over an hour behind schedule.

Once we reached the Delta booth, I again asked for upgraded tickets.  We were there most of an hour, so it worked out well that the flight had been delayed.  A supervisor was called over.  We were upgraded to the second row behind first class - preferred seating - with more leg room!  It was worth every minute of time at the desk!

The line at customs was long, but they were speedy & we were through with enough time to have lunch before going to our gate.
Details~
Boarding the jet, even at the door, I recognized this as a very nice aircraft.  Easily the largest I've flown in, we soon found our seats.  The few extra inches of space make such a difference in passenger comfort.  I found a water bottle on my seat & handed it to the Steward behind me.  He apologized & explained they had been diverted to pick us, up on very short notice.  The plane we'd been scheduled to take had mechanical issues.  My prayers had been answered.
More information~
With large monitors on the seat backs in front of us, I scrolled through the menu.  (The page on the details of the flight, speed & air temperature, elevation, mileage to our destination, were fun to check during the flight.)
Where we'd been~
Once we were in the air, I discovered the air vent above me needed to be adjusted.  The ceiling was so high - I couldn't reach it - without taking my shoes off & standing on my seat!  Even then, I had to really stretch to turn it.  I'd just finished when one of the crew came by & asked me with a big smile - if I'd accomplished my mission. :-)
Where the airport was in relation to the city~
Courtney was determined to stay awake the entire flight.  I decided to watch a movie & Braveheart was the longest one I could find.  We were offered bottled water shortly after take-off.  Snacks next  & dinner followed.  Finally, ice cream!  I don't think anyone turned it down.  I lost count of the times we were offered either refreshment or food!
On our way!
After dinner, I continued my movie.  Walking to the back of the plane to visit the lavatory - I'd just exited when the same crew member saw me.  She asked if I was trying to get in my steps for the day?  I looked as puzzled as I felt.  She pointed out the facilities mid-way down the length of the plane.  I hadn't even seen the sign.  :-)  

As badly as I wanted a window seat, none were available & I'm not complaining!  But on the entire plane, there was only one row where the window blind was open.  Not one single other passenger on the entire plane had their window blind open!  Why oh why - take a window seat & not enjoy the views?  

When we disembarked in Atlanta, I was feeling pretty decent.  We were still behind schedule for our connecting flight to Omaha.  The minute we were off the plane - airport personnel holding signs directed our every step.  Talk about efficient!  The line at customs was long, but moved fast.  I had my second retinal scan.  Courtney was behind me.  The custom's officer was going to detain her.  The scan didn't match the one taken on our way out.  We were told the technology was brand new.  Courtney explained she was accompanying me & was allowed through.  Later, she realized she wasn't wearing her contacts & had been before.

We made it to our gate to leave for Omaha with a few minutes to spare.  As I boarded that plane, I knew it wouldn't be a pleasant trip.  The door seal looked ancient, the jet was tiny & packed with seats.  We were in row 20 something, over the wing.  I ended up in the only seat on the jet that didn't recline.  But!  I had a window!
Leaving Atlanta~
I felt sorry for this crew.  I don't know how they manage to keep their professionalism.  Difficult when working with so many passengers, in such a cramped, confined space.  The carts hardly fit down the aisle.
Evening views~
As afternoon turned to dusk, the lights came on in the cities below.  At least this direction, we'd be gaining time!

I focused on the earth passing by beneath us.  A less than 3-hour flight should feel like nothing after the hours we'd been traveling this day.  No monitors on this old craft.  The small boy in the seat in front of me, had his seat fully reclined, though he was seldom in it.  
A last view~
 I was thrilled to see the lights of Omaha come into view!  It was dark, but oh how sweet those lights of home, looked.  The captain made an announcement, military personnel were on the plane & asked everyone to remain seated until they could disembark.  The passengers applauded & politely stayed seated.
  
Once we were cleared to exit, Courtney & I grabbed our bags & were out the door!  As we passed security, we could see a very large crowd on both sides of the now cordoned hallway, through the airport.  We had no choice but to take that path & it was a little embarrassing.  Everyone was obviously there to welcome home the military who had exited the plane ahead of us.  I heard Butch's voice & suddenly there he was, making his was through the throng of people!  He led, we followed - ushering us to the Bronco, his hug felt so good!  How he'd found parking at all, I don't know.  Courtney had stayed awake our entire time 14+ hours in the air.  Once we were home, she was off to bed!  I don't remember my head hitting the pillow! 

The next day, we returned to Eppley.  Courtney had one more flight to make - home to Seattle.  It seemed so strange to see her leave without me :-(   Many thanks to my husband, our son-in-law, our grandkids (who were without their Mom for a couple weeks.) & most of all - our daughter for including me!

We both loved the adventure & neither of us will ever forget our time in Italy~  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~