March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, November 24, 2018

Quick Trip - Greenfield~

I've tried to make it a point to visit Greenfield at least twice a year.  Once over Memorial Day weekend & again Thanksgiving weekend. It's one of only two-times a year, that Butch has off any consecutive days.
Coming into town from the west on Hwy92
This year, we didn't get to do an overnight & I'd looked forward to it.  But - the storm held off & it was another beautiful day.  Not as warm as on Thanksgiving, but still very nice!
First Street Antiques~
It was a shop local weekend, we were shopping local in my old hometown :-)  Mom & I had stopped here years ago.  It was where I found the first swan planter that started my collection.  This building is jam packed with unique items.
Adair County Court House~
Once we'd parked on the square, the first thing Butch noticed was the construction.  The ADA ramp had been installed at the east entrance, sometime last year.  We first saw it during our visit last May.  It did nothing to improve the looks of the historic building.  Now, Butch guessed correctly - this addition on the west side - will be for an elevator.  If that's the case, the ramp will probably go - but the character of the building is changed forever.  The Glenwood court house, built in 1959,  built an addition several years before we arrived.  Personally, I don't care for the look, but making changes to historic structures is a difficult challenge, I'm sure.
Shop fronts~
Greenfield does so much to keep the town neat, tidy & interesting.  Even with the ongoing struggle to survive that so many of these small mid-west towns face.
Warren Cultural Center
Even the view of the Opera House has changed with some sort of tower in the background.  The day was rapidly turning gray as the clouds moved in & temperatures dropped.  Ed & Eva's was our final stop.  I love the store, they try to fill it with hand crafted items from local artists.  I was actually almost out the door, before I was stopped cold by an item that I could just see near the Cabin.  I covered the expense with the proceeds of the tack I've been selling.

We had time to eat before continuing on to the cemetery.  We visited my families graves.  The flowers that I'd put out in May still looked great!  It's so hard to find anything that will hold up to the harsh weather.  I'm still trying to find something that will look good through the winter months.  We went on to Creston & took Hwy 34 home.  We ran into some rain, but the snow didn't start until the early hours of Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~