March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, December 6, 2018

In the Nick of Time ~

 I've written about the proposed rural cluster developments that were approved on the large landlocked property to the west of our Homestead in WA.  Changes in zoning, allowing for rural cluster development by Snohomish County, ended the true rural character of a large, somewhat forgotten area just to the west of us.  Prior to the change, development was limited to one house per five acres.
The Wetland~
 The centerpiece of this land, was the large, vibrant wetland.  It was years before I found it & it wasn't until November of 2003 that I took up a digital camera for photos.  It was so quiet, remote & so beautiful.  It became a favorite ride destination.  Ben rode Jas here often.  One day we saw a white deer.  Wildlife abounded, beaver, deer, coyote & porcupine.  The creeks were full of salmon. 
Butch with Ben & Jas -2002
We joined our neighbors in going to court to oppose this change to no avail. As the logging started, the salmon disappeared from the creeks... Years went by & Native Growth Protection signs were posted. When linking to that information, I noticed - the name had been changed. The responsibility for managing & maintaining/protecting these areas falls to the homeowner associations. Somehow, I don't see that happening. The costs would be substantial.
Ben on Jas, 2-19-2006
Sadly, it didn't take long until I recognized the signage, was just a formality to appease building codes.  As power went in & the bulldozing increased in scale, I couldn't imagine anything would remain.  Before we left, the line of bulldozers impressed even my husband - familiar with the scale of commercial construction.
1-27-2014
The other evening, I used the Google Earth program to see if the aerial images had been updated. What I found sickened me.
As of July 2018
 As of this last summer, the changes are immense.  I'm sure the sound of the dirt-work carries for miles in all directions.
Looking west~
 You can see how close the work is coming to the Wetland in the above photo.  We'd been told that our road would not be used for access or to tie into Burn Rd.  But from what I can tell - it may now.  Burn is a narrow road with no shoulder, already taking on the burden of other developments further north.
Looking North~
 There's just a small strip of private property now, between our old road & the site.  Our water wells were one of the concerns brought up in court.  Last I knew, the developments would be on septic.
The I-5 corridor~
It's already impossible to drive the I-5 corridor.  Traffic continues to worsen to the point where you have to plan hours of travel time to go places that used to take minutes.  Ever increasing population numbers - contribute to the urban sprawl.  The sprawl - continues to eat away at the beauty of the western side of the state.  
June 28, 2016
 Above is one of the last trails Farah & I traveled, our last summer.  It's how the entire area had looked for many, many years.  I fondly say goodbye to what was a beautiful, stunning natural & native environment.   Now lost to the ravages of development & the dollar...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~