March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, December 31, 2018

Farah's Second Year in Iowa ~

Our second year - seemed to fly by faster than the first!  It was the unexpected & unplanned that demanded a certain amount of fortitude.   

Farah wanted another selfie, the day after we'd returned from our Christmas trip to WA.  I honestly think she recognized us on the phone!  We were so happy to be together again. Ten-degrees felt cold - at least to me! The New Year seemed filled with promise, shiny & bright!
January 4th~  Happiness is!
 I took advantage of the indoor arena at Farah's stable.  February, we managed to get in a ride at Two Rivers State Recreation Area, NE.  With more snow on the ground than we'd expected, it was slippery, but felt so good to be out!
Two-Rivers, February 17th~
 March, friends offered Farah a home on their farm. It took a lot of work to get the little barn ready.  By month's end, Farah had moved from the boarding stable to the farm!  I'd be able to ride the fields & secondary country roads without trailering to far off parks with limited trails.
Sunset at the Farm, March 3rd~
It was great to have Farah totally in our care again, the farm felt like an extension of home.  I unpacked all the boxes of tack & thanks to my husband - had a real tack room again. I took advantage of every opportunity to ride.  We both enjoyed exploring new places.  Leaving in a different direction almost every day & some days visiting friends who lived within riding distance.
April 27th~
The ride above, was to be the last day I'd have full vision in my right eye.  That evening - the blotches appeared & have never left.  The cause was a blood clot in the central artery (CRAO).  Time & physical therapy helped, but the adjustment is ongoing.  I think of that ride - often.
Lush greens, May 15th~
Early spring was spectacular. The countryside came alive with every shade of green. Summer was hot & humid, with more rain than usual.  By June, with the help of a Village of our friends, the fencing was completed for Farah's pasture!  I was so happy to think that after over a year, she would have a place to enjoy her freedom & grazing.  Sadly, it was not to be so - the bugs off the fields attacked her in hordes every time we took her out.
The Pasture, June 24th~
 The bugs were horrible, Farah appreciated her mask, her leggings & fly spray.  No fan, as there was no electricity to the barn.
6-29-18 Bandaged
The end of June, we received a call.  Farah had jumped her enclosure & escaped onto the road.  We're sure she was driven to it by bugs coming in off the fields to attack her.  A big Vet bill, but the damage was superficial.  This was the first time she had Ever had an injury of any kind. Undoubtedly the scariest thing to have ever happened to her & to us...
Farah's summer look :-) Waubonsie, July 26th~
 July, Butch drove us to Waubonsie, where we rode all our favorite trails.  It was a really fun place to ride the hills & great for conditioning, but not as beautiful as Pierce Creek.
8-15-18 Rain Ridin'
The ability to ride out from the farm was such a blessing.  No trailering & enough riding to keep us occupied.  One of my favorite rides, was in the rain.
8-30-18 Almost to Mineola~
I'd had a plan - to try to ride Farah from the farm, to the Wabash Trail & from there to Mineola.  Horses are not allowed on that section, but no one was ever out during the week & we'd be quick :-)   At Tobey Jacks, Farah was served washed, cut, cold carrots!  Wow!  Now, her favorite restaurant too :-)
9-8-18 Pierce Creek~
Pierce Creek was a favorite for us both.  Farah loved it so much, she'd get excited before we were even close to the trail where I could let her open up!  Here too, with water available, she could have a nice bath after a hot sweaty ride.

September, I made the decision to send Farah back to WA.  After two-years of trying to make riding work here for the gold girl & me - it was over.  We'd given it our best shot...  In the end, I have to pray I made the right decision for the welfare of a superior mare.
Farah, September 8th~
For the first time in almost 30-years, I end this year without a ride...  My long-time riding friends in WA will understand - the massive change this has been for me...  I used to ride the old year out & sometimes, the New Year in...  Time has moved on - life has moved on & I'm moving with it - abet on foot.
Comfort & Joy to you in the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~