March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The Meaning of Frigid!

It's Cold!  Very, very, cold!  As I write this, the temperature is 3 degrees with the wind gusting to over 10 mph. Making it feel like -15.    I went out in it - to put plastic bags over the trees from Washington.  I don't know that it will be enough...  We've already had one night with -10.  My face was going numb by the time I came in.
Lights~
Butch put in these outdoor lights at the edge of the timber. It gives just a bit of warmth to what would otherwise be a very frigid scene. The prints you see in the snow are from the bunnies that come & go.
Waubonsie Overlook~
 Sunday, after a late breakfast with friends, we took a drive out into the country.  Once we were on the gravel, Butch had to put the truck into 4-wheel drive.  We ended up at the Waubonsie overlook.  I got out of the truck to hike in - at least until I sunk higher than the top of my insulated boots!
A winter view~
 Even from the edge of the road, it's an impressive view.  The wind was whistling by - bitter at 21 degrees.   I was in a hurry to get back to my heated seat in the truck!
Windmill~
 If  you look closely, you can just see the sun through the cloud cover.  The snow has been on the ground since before I got home.  Monday the 21st, Nika & I had to get out for a walk.  We both broke through the frozen layer of crust covering the snow.
Lots of snow~
It felt cold at 32 degrees, especially after the relative warmth of Washington!  Nika loves her walks so much - she gets excited when she see's the leash.  The ice & cold don't seem to bother her. 
Nika~
 People with Buhunds in Sweden, Norway etc., say the dogs play out in sub-freezing temperatures  without any fuss at all. 
Timber on the 21st.
 The snow highlights the work we've done on this hillside.  The areas of downed limbs, branches & thickets of greenbriar are all cut away.  I've found a nice spot for another sitting area too.  The crust on the snow has thickened as the temperatures have dropped.  Even with blazing sunshine during the days, it's not enough to melt the snow or warm the air.
Snow shadows~
The Omaha area is right on the edge of where the frigid temperatures meet the more moderate ones. Our forecast is warning of wind chills down to -35 by early morning. All the schools here & in surrounding states are closed tomorrow. Activities are cancelled too. It takes some brutal weather to accomplish that. I'm just hoping that the power stays on!

2 comments:

Always Welcome~