March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, May 27, 2019

Memorial Day Weekend ~

  Originally to honor those who died in service to their country, over the years, Memorial Day has become a time to honor all Veterans who have served.   When I was little, it was called Decoration Day.  We would go to the cemetery to decorate family grave sites.  The meaning of the holiday, has changed somewhat over the ensuing years, but in the heartland, the true meaning is still very much in evidence.

  As we've done each Memorial Day weekend since moving to Iowa, we drove to my hometown.  Having packed the weed whacker, preen, new artificial flowers & the tools we knew we'd need to spruce up the area's at each of the two cemetery plots where so many of my family are buried.  My parents, paternal grandparents, aunts & uncles in Greenfield.
The Veteran Sunken Garden, Greenfield Cemetery~
The crosses in the garden hold the name of each Veteran who has served his country.  At this mornings ceremony, the names of each & every Veteran was spoken.  They now total 644 names...   Since the town's population is only around 2,000 - many men from this area have served over the years.  My Dad, my brother, several of my Uncles.
Looking toward the cemetery entrance.
I removed the old flowers from last year & placed the new ones. Since the weather was forecast to be awful, the American Legion decided to not place all the flags. The ceremony itself was scheduled to be held at a very large fitness club at the edge of town.
My Parents & youngest brother~
It is always a very introspective time for me.  Both Mom & Dad were 85 when they passed, just four-years apart.  We lost my youngest brother in 2000.  The cemetery was a busting place - cars coming & going, everyone out decorating & honoring family & friends that are no longer with us.
Nika waits~
Our next stop was again, the little cemetery, on a high hill.  My maternal family plot has been here, since before I was born.  It's always so quiet & so restful.  Some of the stones are very old, it's like walking back in time to see dates going back to the early 1800's.  Nika has made this trip with us several times now & likes this place the best.  

We can notice changes now.  Last year it was much drier & the peonies were already in bloom.  This year, they were still in the bud stage & everything was very wet & green.  We planted a new white peony & added a thick ring around it for protection from the mowers.  

I still remember my Grandmother bringing me out here each summer to pull weeds & think of how she would appreciate our taking over these duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~