March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Farah & Cassandra~

Cassandra & I met through a mutual friend , who was familiar with Cassandra's aptitude to read horses subtle pain signals & get to the root cause. Dean taught me that 90 percent of any horse problem, arises from pain. After describing some of the issues I was experiencing with Farah, Cassandra suggested we go out for a ride!  That meeting, early spring of 2016 & her resulting work on Farah, had made a huge difference in Farah's attitude. Farah had put up with ill fitting saddles right up until the time my custom Stonewall arrived late in 2015. We were also working with a new Farrier & had some slight changes in hoof balance to make. The issues found, were slight - but enough I was very glad to have them alleviated.

Cassandra & I had tried to connect - for most of the year after Farah had escaped her paddock, at the farm in IA. I'd wanted Cassandra to check Farah out, just to reassure me the mare had not thrown something out-of-whack. Routinely flying cross country to visit clients, she was unable to change her schedule to accommodate a lay-over in Omaha.

When I knew I was coming to WA & Cassandra would be home during the same period - we managed to schedule an appointment at Mary's farm.
My worried mare~
When Farah heard Cassandra's voice, her head popped out over her stall! I'm sure she remembered her friend, she'd taken to her quickly & enjoyed her manipulation. Again, shoeing topped my list of concerns. Last year, I think she was only shod once. I'd scheduled shoeing a with a new-to-me farrier, just prior to picking her up last September.  I couldn't be there to see what was done, but the job looked good, balanced & Farah seemed to be moving just fine when I rode her.
Working with Farah's neck~
Mary was back to searching for a Farrier, after the one she'd used for years retired. When I arrived, I was so excited just to see Farah & ride, I didn't inspect her shoes.  During our ride, I had that little nagging, somethings not quite right, feeling. Upon closer inspection, I found several things needing change.  Clips are something Farah had never needed.  There was no room for foot expansion, but the shoes were scheduled to be replaced.
Big Stretch!
 We had quite an interesting & fun day, watching as the horses were manipulated. Farah is very expressive & I was surprised she was so sore. Our long, fast ride, was something I shouldn't have done, but Cassandra consoled me, mentioning the ride, actually brought to the surface underlying issues, we might otherwise have missed.
Farah relaxing~
We tried several of Mary's saddles on Farah - Cassandra found one that fit & demonstrated why.  Mary wanted to see my saddle on Farah & the Stonewall fit as perfectly as it always had, no problems. Of course I love my saddleright pad! It's one of the best for back protection.

We were all cold & I'm sure Cassandra was tired by the end of the afternoon!  I was relieved to know Farah's issues had been addressed.  It was easy to see in both body posture & expression, she was more comfortable.  Her eyes relaxed, the former tightness & worry gone.
Relaxed~
   With the flooding, I had to take the long way back & forth to the farm.  I sat on Woodinville/Duvall Road for almost an hour to get across the valley & back to daughter Courtney's this evening.  I told Butch I don't miss all of that - at ALL!

3 comments:

  1. Loved your story! Very interesting also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, I had to back up to say it, but you're breaking my heart by posting photos of my home, especially those logging roads up our mountains. As you said, those were the roads that trained our horses.

    Horse people here cannot believe me when I try to describe my home.

    I've slept on a boat an entire week. My uncle lives on a boat in Ballard. We're invited to live there on our next visit!!

    I'd driven up I-90 to reach snow just to teach kids how to build a snowman.

    We buy a cooler of Oysters at Rockaway Beach in Garbialdi Oregon to put on the BBQ for the entire family, every single August. I'm in charge of that, when I'm there, and the garlic butter dip.

    Where on earth is life better than in the PNW????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all in your perspective:-) Love those Rockaway oysters too!

      Delete

Always Welcome~