March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, February 10, 2020

Victoria - My Birthday & Final Ride~

Here we were, thankful for one more sunshine day!  The original plan had been to ride with Joyce & Chris too, at Taylor Mountain.  Sadly, the trails were closed due to wind, rain & downed trees.  With over 100-miles between us & even then - not so much the distance as the traffic - we decided to forgo the group ride until my return in June.

It was super that Charlotte & Fancy live north & could join us!  It had been several years since Farah & I had see them!  The last time had been my favorite ride up Stimson Hill.
Charlotte, Fancy, Mary, Oliver
It was very chilly though! We started out under the clouds, then moved off into the warmer sunshine. When I gave Farah a chance at the lead, she took me bipping & bopping down the trail. I could feel a bit of the unevenness she's experienced with the changes in Farriers, but new shoes were scheduled. She did some head shaking, loosening herself up from her adjustment.  I held her back to 20-mph for her little running bursts.

  Just past this new-to-me clear cut & around the corner, we heard the sound of water, lots of water!  A new waterfall had cut into the hillside.  It was back just far enough I couldn't get the photo with my phone.  Now, I was wishing for my camera with the zoom!
Charlotte laughing at Oliver trying to make friends with Fancy :-)
By the time we reached the monument, the clouds had again caught us! The air was damp & chilly! My gloves weren't waterproof & I wished I'd brought others. We had a quick snack before going back out onto the roads.
Fancy & Charlotte~
The pair above have always been one of my all-time favorite teams. At 21-years of age, Fancy is coming up on 3,000 endurance miles & still looks as fit & healthy as ever. I can only hope the years are as kind to Farah... 
Farah & Connie at the Monument~
 We didn't go through the deep, dark, woods. Trails are closed.  Those trails are steep in places & can be so slippery. Instead, we cut up the road to the overlook.
Lake McMurray~
It was almost a religious experience, to be here again. Farah felt it too. The trees on the hillside keep growing taller & taller. I can only hope the view remains open, since it's so beautiful. We polished up a very nice ten-plus mile ride!
Our loop~
 Google seems to have corrected the issues I was having downloading images of our track. Of course I don't use it very often now!
Farah in a Lark Song cooler~
Mary ordered wool coolers for her farm.  This one fit Farah perfectly.  I brushed her down as good as I could.  (The tail still needs a lot of work...)  I've got to order Farah another Epona face cloth, she used to enjoy it on her face after a ride, so much.  Her soft brush had to suffice.

Linda met us at the trailhead & we drove to La Hacienda for my birthday dinner!  Mary caught us all up on current trail issues.  She has many plans & ideas on how to successfully keep horses on the trails, against the mounting number of bikes.  The three of us listened.
Linda, Charlotte, Mary & me~
 Back at the farm, I put Farah's heavier blanket on, the one she's been in.  I brushed her out, since the new cooler had done it's job.  Again, I stood in the stall with her for an extra minute or two.  She seemed in no hurry for water, or to head out into her paddock.  She put the soft side of her muzzle against my cheek.  Her way to tell me goodbye...
As yummy as it looks!  Dark Chocolate scratch cake!
 I hustled back to Duvall in time for a delicious home made chocolate birthday cake & the enjoyment of listening to our grand-kids sing happy birthday!. :-)  Courtney helped me pack all the last minute items & lent me a suitcase to fit the large insulator she found for me!

At Sea-Tac, the suitcase with the insulator was sent off on a different conveyor belt for special inspection!  The poor TSA agent had to ask me just what it was?  When I said;  "A birthday present." I think he thought I was daft!  :-)  Heading home!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mexican food! How I miss it.

    I can only imagine how crowded Taylor Mtn is these days. Back when I rode there, there was no parking lot, we'd have to park alongside the road. There was also no sign, so it was a "locals only" mountain where you'd ride all day and only see wildlife (a herd of elk joined me once!). I knew that place like the back of my hand, including where the hole in the fence to the Watershed was! That's probably fixed by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bracken was once like that too... Victoria... Time marches on - at least we still have access!

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~