March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Two-Miles on the Trail!

We were to have two more beautiful day's, before the cold & snow return.  Wednesday, I made my first visit to Silver City, since early last September.  Mari Jo & I sat in the sun by the shop, each wearing warm jackets.  The temperature was in the high 40's, but the brisk wind blowing off the snow made it feel much colder.  Mari Jo mentioned that a local volunteer keeps one side of the concrete portion of the trail plowed.  The other side is left with snow cover - for those who snowshoe or use ski's.  She had been walking her dog north from town.  Out the mile & back, for a two-mile round trip, weather permitting.

On our way north toward Mineola~
On my way home, I decided to cancel my PT appointment for Thursday.  With another day of sunshine & less wind, I put Nika in the car & drove again to Silver City.  I had no idea how far I would be able to walk, so I didn't ask Mari Jo to come along.  My goal was to make it to the end of the concrete.  A mile didn't seem like much.  My accomplishments on the Elliptical have improved from the first .25 mile.  Now, I can do two-miles in 35-min. at level one.  Nowhere near last winter's two-miles in 30 min. level five.  Patience has never been one of my virtues. 
Size discrepancy & a large knee - still~
The first  challenge was getting my tennis shoe on.  I've been wearing crocks since getting home, my foot won't fit into anything else.  Well, I jammed it in & left the laces as loose as I could.  
Nika looks north~
I was so happy to find the first of the benches!  I couldn't believe how tiring walking was!  Of course Nika wanted to pull & pull...  I'd forgotten her pinch collar.  So instead, I worked on having her walk beside me, rather than out front & corrected her each time she pulled.  I gave her slack whenever she was good.  (I told Doris Nika is the hardest horse I've ever had to train!  :-)
Our Goal!
I used each of the three benches along our way.  The mileage marker in town was 13-3/4 miles.  The last sign I saw - we were at 13-miles.  (The trail starts north in Council Bluffs, as do the mileage markers.)  By the time we reached the start of the limestone, I'd walked that mile!  
The way we'd come~
Thankfully, there was one last bench, just past the end of the concrete.  My leg was more than ready for another rest & I was already thinking about the mile walk back!
Nika enjoying the sunshine~
It was so nice to be out in the great wide-open again.  I love & have so missed the quiet of the countryside.  We spotted a muskrat crossing the trail & watched a Red-headed Woodpecker at work on a large snag.
Gorgeous day~
We sat for quite a while before heading back.  It was getting later in the afternoon.  As the sun moved further down, the temperature dropped & the wind had picked up. 
My footsteps in the limestone~
It seems unreal, how soft & slippery the trail gets.  Of course with the upcoming daytime highs of 27, it will be frozen solid again soon.
Almost back to town!
I've never fully appreciated before, just how far a mile is!  Riding a horse, or speeding along on Speedy, the miles seen to fly by.  On foot, on a very sore leg, a two-mile round-trip is a long way...  Sinking into the Explorer's comfy seat felt pretty good, at least until I had to get back out at home!  Good thing Butch wasn't there to see me gimp to the house!  

Eighteen-weeks into this recovery, the pain is still with me.  Strengthening my muscles & increasing my ROM are still my primary goals.  What's now become my good right leg (with the plate, screw & pins in the femur) has 143cm of flexibility.  My left knee is at 118.  Once my walking improves, Speedy will be on the trail next!  The long-range weather report is calling for a dryer than normal February through April.  Good for my plans to ride, not so good for the on-going drought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~