March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, February 26, 2021

Nika makes a Friend!

 My second time walking on the trail this season.  It had been just over a month.  Mari Jo said the concrete portion of the Wabash Trace north of Silver City was clear.  We'd been wanting our dogs to meet & today was the day!

Gracie & Nika~
Butch & I had noticed a dog barking, our first walk on the trail last March.  The dogs owner came out & commented on how similar our dogs looked!  That was our first time meeting Mari Jo.  The next, was when I realized she also owned Happy Trails Cycle Shop!  

Gracie was a rescue, so her parentage is unknown.  With so few Buhunds in Iowa, it seems almost impossible she has Buhund blood.  As we discussed habits & the look, it's pretty obvious.  With blue eyes, Mari Jo believes Gracie is also part Husky .  
Bridge replacement~
The first bridge going north, is about to be replaced.  One of the timbers underneath is cracked.  That will limit our ability to walk the concrete & the limestone surface will be too wet & mushy for weeks yet.
Gracie & Nika~
For two females, the two girls got on OK.  Neither making any fuss & both walked out the same speed.  Mari Jo set - I know - a more moderate pace for my benefit.  I passed up the benches on our way out.  I was wearing my muck boots, so the leg got a workout.
Treacherous in spots~
There were a couple places where it was easier to just walk over in the snow.  My tall boots came in handy for that.
Gracie with blue eyes!
The day made it up to the high 40's, but the clouds rolled in & the air turned chilly.
Mari Jo, Gracie & Nika wait~
By the last bench - the leg was more than ready for a rest.  I stretched it out a little before moving on.
Broken Bridge~
If you look at the left top boards, you can see where they bend downward.  The broken truss is in that spot.  It will be quite a project - I just hope it doesn't take too long to replace.  It's one of my favorite portions of the trail!
Heading back to Glenwood.  Water tower off in the distance~
Both Nika & I were happy to have been out!  I'm back to driving the Bronco.  The dealership called today.  The steering box in the Explorer needs to be replaced (a recall item) & none to be found.  They have no idea how long the wait will be, but recommended not driving it.  As I told them, in the meantime, the Bronco will do just fine!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~