March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, March 14, 2022

Riding Lake Manawa~

 I had fun writing about my OTR experience's traveling with Butch.  Now I'll be back to short bike riding stories to accompany my photos.  I've probably mentioned before, how I can do almost the same route, yet see changes every time.  It was a totally gorgeous start to the new week.  Low 60's & no wind!  I still felt like I was in recovery mode from the trip - but couldn't let this day go by. 

Smokey & the Explorer
I decided to park at the trailhead near Tastee Treat.  From there I'd gain a couple miles of riding going over to the park.
On the Bridge over Mosquito Creek~
Once I'm past the industrial area & Lewis Central bus barn, things quiet down.  
Connector trail from the park, looking back toward the Wabash~
The train was sitting off a way from the three underpasses going toward the park & Mid-American coal plant.  A Burlington Northern engine, waiting for the word to proceed.  I rode in from the east side of the lake, then turned north & west along Veteran's Memorial Hwy.  
An old campground~
This old campground is at the far NW corner of the park, almost hidden away now, behind the industrial businesses.  It's about a mile around the whole area.  A nice quiet mile where I take a short break.  Now the land has been sold, I wonder what will go in.  
Huge old Cottonwood, Coal plant in the background~
Today, I didn't stop for long.  I was sure Butch was driving & usually wait for him to call me.
SW corner, over the Indian Creek Bridge~
There was a crew of men working to replace some of the wood slats on the bridge deck.  The smell of fresh cut lumber was strong.  Just a way further, three large birds landed in one of the Cottonwoods!  I think they were either young hawks, or young eagles!  The photo I took wasn't clear enough, but when I zoomed in, they had the feathers of younger birds.

Above is a short video taken from my second stop, about mid-way along the south shore of the lake.  It's such a pretty spot & there's never anyone around mid-day during the week.  I'm sure as the season progresses it will be busy.

A day to enjoy!
I was thinking when riding back, this was to me, a Ten day!  The Omaha weatherman grades some days & keeps count of those he thinks deserve a Ten - during the year.  I've started counting early!  I'm more than ready to see the greens of spring!
Under the first of the three underpasses~
Even though there are signs asking for single file traffic, I've about been wiped out twice now.  Riders on electric bikes, whizzing along & taking up both sides of the trail.  Now, I'm a little cautious before going through.

Just over a mile later, I was back at the Explorer.  I thought about turning into Tastee Treat, but the lines were long!  I'll save an ice cream treat for a warmer day!  I covered every inch of trail there & did the pretty loop twice, giving me just under 16-miles.  The park & hard surface trails are spoiling me!  I ended the ride just two-miles shy of my first 100 for the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~