March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, May 27, 2022

Full on Lush!

 It was a warm day, but a beautiful one!  Hardly any wind & not too humid - surprising with all the moisture we've received.  Thursday afternoon, my friend Laura had invited me over to dig more Hosta's from her backyard.  I'd brought home three tubs full & you still couldn't tell I'd taken any.  Once home, I spent the afternoon getting them planted. 

The Walnuts are leaving out!
It had been a somewhat difficult week & by today, I was ready to get Smokey out for a ride.  I spoke to Mari Jo before leaving, but she had customers, so I hit the trail.  Looking at the creeks I crossed, it was obvious we'd had rain!  They were full of both water & silt.
Beaver dam hardly holding back the flow~
This time of year, I just ride along emersed in the greens...  Green & the blue of the sky, the predominant colors of Iowa from spring through summer.
Smokey by the Imogene 14-mile sign~
I reached the little Depot in Malvern.  A volunteer was weed spraying along the side of the building where the first picnic table is, so I went around back.  I'd just sat down & gotten out my water when she appeared around the corner.  Not wanting to inhale those fumes, I returned to the trail & decided to stop at the park.
Our new break spot~
Even with a few people pulling in to camp for the weekend, on the far side of the pond, it was nice & quiet.  The picnic tables are under cover & shady.  I think this will be our new rest spot with such a nice view.  
On the way back north~
I always enjoy the concrete mile north of Malvern.  It's so quiet after the sound of the limestone.  The Cardinal's were joined by the Oriole's today - both brilliant colors very flashy against the intense greens.  I think they wait until the last minute - before making their dash across in front of me!  :-)
Almost back to Silver City~
The last couple miles are on a slight uphill grade & always seem like the longest.  One of these days, if we get another cooler one, I'll tackle the Minneola to Silver City section.  Up what I think of as a decent hill.  Mary Jo, powers along, hardly noticing, but she's ridden a bike as long as I'd ridden horses :-)

When I entered the shop for my usual bottle of ice cold water, Mari Jo mentioned getting ready to send out a search party!  :-) I'd been on the phone with both Butch & Roxi which took longer than usual. Keeping truckers in-line keeps me busy!  :-)  I'm hopeful now, Butch will be coming home for a short break soon!

1 comment:

Always Welcome~