March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, May 28, 2022

My "Friends"...?

 In all the time I've worked in the Marsh over the years, I've only found one "nest" of garter snakes.  No big deal, I knew where they were & avoided them.   Nika, if she finds one, will play with it, tossing it into the air etc., until it's dead...  Then have the Best doggy fun rolling on it!  Yuck!  

Today, after all the rain we received last week, (3" most places) the marsh is a true marsh & I was glad I'd gotten it mowed down.

I was making my way across the flats when - thank heaven - movement caught my eye!

Black Racer?
I did NOT know they could climb until I read the article in the link above...  That will give me pause!  He could move very fast & was at least 3ft. long!  He continued on his way & I continued on mine, much more carefully!

My other "friend" is a bit - just a bit - more benige...  Though I recently saw a short video of what a snapping turtle did to a dog that was a bit too inquisitive!  The poor dog took the brunt of it!
Mr. Snapping Turtle~
I also didn't realize that Snapping Turtles can stay submurged!  The only times I've watched him, his head was placed so he had air.  The mud on his shell must act as insulation against the heat of the sun.  I did leave him an egg the other day.  When I checked the next morning, it had been moved, but not taken.  Today, it was gone!

Marsh, looking SE.  creek to the far left~
I planted a new Hydrangea to replace the one that died off this winter.  It's the new a new to me variety & I hope it thrives.
Twist & Shout~
This one has an interesting name & I loved the purple/pink color.  I still have mulch to buy, but I got it in the ground just before the rains.
Now that I'm cooled down, back I go to try to finish up my mowing & weed whacking!  I do hope I dont' find anymore friends of a repetilian nature today!
Big Red towed to Dallas Kenworth~
Butch is flying home tonight!  I will be oh so happy to see him, even he is coming in at midnight!  We'll have a busy few days - his return is a story in itself!  He'll soon be on the road again, returning to Seagonville, TX for a final cruize hopefully in Big Red, before leaving him in Joplin.  At least when Red broke down, it was near help, even if the help received at the Dallas Kenworth Dealer - resulted in yet another breakdown!  Crazy!  A story for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~