March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Fall Woods~

 Each year about this time, I like to get a few photos of the woods.  We returned home from our anniversary trip late afternoon, last Wednesday.  Nika had a wonderful time staying with Doris - as usual!   She'd gained some needed weight & was rested after her time as Butch's OTR companion.  

It's been beautiful since we've been home. I love seeing the sun set over the trees, but the lawn is the driest it's ever been.  We keep the front watered, along with some of the newer hosta's & shrubs.  The backyard has to fend for itself.

10-13,  5:41 p.m. Backyard with dry lawn~
Thursday, started out cloudy & we had just a spritz of rain for about a second, even with heavy dark clouds overhead.  By late afternoon though, the sun reappeared & the woods looked so pretty!  The wind has been pretty much non-stop, but temperatures have stayed mild.
10-14, Sunsetting through the trees~
While Butch worked on Blue, I cleaned the inside & outside of the Cabin windows.  We took down the AC unit & put it away for the winter.  My gernamiums were moved to the new shelving unit by the Cabin's south facing sliding door.  They'd grown way more than I expected, since transplanting them to 8" pots.
Looking west~
With the big Cottonwood down from the windstorm earlier this year & it's canopy gone - the woods get alot more light.  Pretty now, but hotter in mid-summer.  The additional light seemed to make the grass/weeds grow faster.  Butch bought me a new weed whacker when my old one wore out.
Timber Trail - south
There's already a good layer of walnut leaves on the ground with plenty more to follow.  I haven't seen  any of the blue lobelia this year.  The moles are the worst ever.  Every square inch of ground had been tunneled.   When you walk, it feels like you're stepping on a sponge as the soil sinks beneath your feet.  Most of the hosta's have been totally undermined, but are still alive.  The trail I heavily mulched with walnut chips last year, hasn't been spared from the mole mess.  
Little Bird~
 I still have several broken limbs that need to be cut away from the trees.  I managed to pull one big one down & it took me down with it!  The man who helps with the lawn, walked it with me last week as I pointed out what needs to get cut.  There's still quite a lot to be hauled away from the Cottonwood too, since one of our trees had to be cut to get it to the ground.  I'm hoping for an extended fall to finish the cleanup.
Tinkle Branch Trail - east~
By Saturday, Butch had his next dispatch, picking up product at Con Agra in Council Bluffs.  I rode along as he dropped the empty he'd brought home & picked up a trailer full going to UT.  We stopped for ice cream at Tastee Treat on the way home.
10-16, Butch heading out~
The following morning, he was heading out.  Rested, re-organized & with Blue sporting the new mud flaps we'd found at the I-80 Truck Stop!  (Nika is staying home with me.  She didn't ask to be lifted into the truck when it was time to see Butch off.)  

Temperatures are due to drop this coming week & with the cold, a hard freeze.  As soon as we get the next forecast warmup, I plan to dust Smokey off & get back on the trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~