March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, October 20, 2022

Very Dry Return ~

 Today I returned to the trail.  Perfect weather - lower 70's, a light breeze & low humidity.  There was no mistaking how very dry its been.  The sky held a high gray overcast, filtering the sunshine.  Not the usual bright blue I enjoy.

Leaves covering the trail~
The leaf litter was nothing like last season.  I thought things were dry last fall & they were, but this year has topped it.  The less than a half inch of rain the area received on the twelth - did nothing to reduce our growing moisture deficit.  As of the first of September, the Glenwood area was 6.5" below normal.  The last week of record breaking cold just acted as a catalist for the trees to drop their already dried leaves.  There is very little color - compaired with other years.
Fields harvested~
With the bright if hazy sun - the newly harvested fields with their terraces - look almost surreal.  Since it's been so dry, farmers haven't had many oportunities to burn off the weeds on the terraces.
Large Cottonwood, dry ground~
Even in the most shaded areas of the woods along the trail, it's obvious how dry it's been & continues to be.  Rain is again in the forecast for the first of next week & I sure hope it comes.
On the trestle~
It was beautiful, though.  The upper canopy almost totally gone now, with just the understory trees showing any color at all.  Last year, even almost two weeks later,  the colors were more brilliant & the trail still had a lush look. 
Leaf litter on the trail~
The dust is still thick too, I think that's what is filtering the sunlight.
At the Malvern Park Pond~
The water in the pond is low, no geese on this day.  This photo shows the haze in the air.  (I decided to ride my usual round-trip, even though it had been over two-weeks since I'd been back on my bike.)  My break was cut short due to the hundreds of Asian Beetles swarming around the covered picnic area.  They were crawling up the support posts that were in the sun & landing on me constantly, even though I was in the shade.  I remembered how I fought them when Farah was still here.  They would land on her in numbers so large, I'd use the sweat scraper to get them off, only to see them land again.  They do bite!
Cattails, dried~
Riding through all the leaves was somewhat of a challenge too, since they hide the walnuts & uneven trail surface.  Even the mile of concrete going into Malvern was still covered with leaves & walnuts. 
Silver Creek~
Silver Creek has a good flow for the time of year.  I didn't notice much of a difference in the water level at the Trestle.  I was passed by three woman riding electric bikes.  They asked if mine was electric to which I replied "No"...  I  hope to not go that route for a few more years yet!

Beaver dam's gone~
The Beaver dams are gone from this little creek.  It still has water flowing, which was good to see.
Rust colored stinging nettles~
The stinging nettles have had their last hurrah for the year, wilted from the frost & turning a rich rust color.  On my way back, the last section of trail before Silver City runs parallel with a graveled road.  I was hoping there'd be no traffic, but one car went flying by & the dust was thick.  I waited a bit before riding through it.
Dust in the air~
When I arrived back home, covered with a fine layer of dust, I felt like I'd not ridden in a while!  I was surprised when the weatherman said it was a top ten day!   We're supposed to warm up to the high 80's over the weekend with big winds on Sunday.  Monday is to bring us promised rain.  I'm still waiting on the cool, slightly overcast, moist days of fall I enjoy the most!  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Do you have red-winged blackbirds? When I see cat tails I think of their song. I sure miss them!

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~