March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, July 2, 2023

Wild Turkey's ~

 Warm, Hot, Lots of sunshine!  I did want to ride.  Thursday,  we received a very welcome 2" of rain.  Then early Friday morning - another 1.14"  Saturday we'd had light rain most of the day adding another .50 to our total.  I loved the cool, gray, wet day's after weeks of heat.  With a total of 3.5 inches, I was pretty sure the trail would be sticky at the least.  I decided on Lake Manawa again.  There were quite a few cars at the trail head in Council Bluffs.

Looking north~
I rode in from the east & turned north onto the sidewalk/trail.  There was a breeze, which did help, but the humidity was high & it wasn't plesant.  I just decided to keep moving, making my own breeze - all the way to the old campground.  When I stopped there for a drink, I could see Doozie's through the trees at the far end of the open area!
Doozies from the old campground~
As tempting as it was, I didn't ride over.  I learned my lesson a couple years ago.  Riding after a cold ice cream on a hot day, is not something I want to try again...
The water lilies starting to bloom!
I took the above photo from the north end of the lake, looking due south.  You could almost see the humidity in the air.  Riding up the west side, along Indian Creek, I even passed a couple people.  The heat was intense - especially out in the wide open, with no shade.
New campground~
The new campground is getting lots of business, but it's right out in the full sun.  I'm sure most of these RV's are equipped with with AC.  At the least - a big fan to move the air.

As I crossed the road at the south end of the lake - taking the route to the picnic area - I saw something cross the road!  Just as I got to that side, the three turkey's below had crossed the trail & were headed for the shade of the nearby tree!
Enjoying the shade~
I don't blame them!  I wish I'd been faster with my phone.  Their feathers looked so pretty in the sunshine.
Wildflowers in bloom~
I still haven't identified these flowers - but they're sure a beautiful hue of purple!  I was on the last section of trail by the little power plant, when a super sweet smell filled the air!
Milkweed in bloom~
Making milkweed balls with seed & tossing them everywere is a "thing" here in the midwest.  Milkweed can be seen along the sides & in the ditches of almost every road.  Monarch butterfly larva need milkweed as food, so hopefully proliferating this plant will help the Monarch's. 
Blooms~
I was amazed at how wonderfully sweet they smell!  Good enough to eat - for sure!  Similiar to the scent of a Lilac bloom, but sweeter.  I didn't see any Monarch's, but hope I do before the season is over.

I didn't waste any time getting back to the Explorer!  It was 89 when I checked & I don't even want to know how high the humidity was!  It felt great to get in a ride, but I'll hope for a cooler day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~