March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, July 22, 2023

White Cloud Trestle - South~

 I said in May, I'd return to this section of the trail & today I did.  I don't like parking at the Depot.  The grade of the little parking area puts the rear of the Explorer too high for me to lift Smokey onto the rack.  Butch suggested I go to the park just across from Agriland.  It was perfect & easy!

Ready to leave~
I rode around the south end of the pond, out onto the trail & past the Depot.  Past the big bike art installation, I didn't stop for a photo.  It was definitely warmer & muggier than it has been & especially so - since there was very little breeze.
Toward Marsh Rd.~
The first section of the trail is a unrelenting uphill grind.  Once I was past Marsh Road, it's more rolling, but there's one section with heavier rock than I'm used to.  It gave me an appreciation of the riders who ride on the gravel roads.
Tall Bellflower~
I'd seen the above flowers blooming last year & have identified them.  They are such a pretty color & the only thing I've found along the trail blooming this time of year.
Sign in the tree to the right~
The trail was dappled with sunlight the last couple miles to the White Cloud truss bridge.   The signage is getting weather worn, but you can still make out the message. 
Imogene 10 miles~
No doubt about it, at least in my opinion.  It's a tough ride to go from Malvern to Imogene.  Besides today & another ride this May, going out 7-miles, I've traveled it twice one way & once, a round-trip.
Elevation~
The Garmin chart above shows the four rides, the one on the far right, longest & green line is the round trip. It was my first year back on a bike - riding Speedy - May 29th of 2020.  At just under 28-miles - I was so tired coming back - I got off & walked up the last of the big hills.  The two in the middle, I'd made it one way to Imogene & Butch picked me up there.  

I noticed my average speed had dropped after my leg injury, but now, partly thanks to Smokey, it's increasing again.  Even riding just over half-way today, it's a considerable improvement. My goal is to ride all the way to Imogene, sometime before this year is out, but I'll need to find a ride back!  
White Cloud Trestle over the W Nishnabotna River~
This bridge & the view from it, is beautiful.  It was erected in 1910 using 1884 parts.  At 305 ft. total, the main span is 115 ft.  It is a few years older than the Silver Creek Trestle, erected in 1923.  I have to admit, I'm in love with the old bridges & in awe of the engineering & crews that constructed them.
View upstream from the trestle~
The day had warmed & was very still, just an occasional slight breeze to cool me off.  I hadn't seen anyone on the trail.  The town of White Cloud, just a short way beyond the trestle, began as a mill & a ferry operated across the river.  Both White Cloud & Glenwood were started before there were railroads.
Crossing the narrow bridge~
In less you're on foot, this is a one bike at a time crossing.  There's about 6" left on each side of the handlebars.  
I made it to the cattle guard in the photo below & stopped for a break at six miles.  I called Butch & told him Smokey wanted to turn back. :-) I turned the bike around to face north & took a short rest break.
Starting back?
But then, I looked south.  There was one more rise & I really thought I might be close to the area I named Cottonwood Pass on my first ride.  Oh heck - what's another mile or so?  I finished the climb & started down the far side until I heard my Garmin buzz at 7-miles.
The trail continued; I turned back~
There was plenty of trail ahead of me for another day, six to seven miles more to reach Imogene.  Returning to Malvern, I'd have several miles of downhill grade!  Yippee!  It was a blast sailing along making my own breeze.  My t-shirt almost dried out!
Smokey on the White Cloud Trestle~
A coyote ran across the trail at one point.  He was moving fast & so was I.  More clouds had moved in too, giving the day a silvery glow & dropping the temperature a couple degrees.  After the bridge, it was a bit of a grind back to Marsh Road.  Once across, we were back under the canopy of the trees.  I enjoyed a final nice downhill into Malvern.
My route~
Coming into town, I whizzed along on the concrete portion of the trail, back to the park.  A good workout & a really enjoyable ride.  Two back-to-back longer rides did take a toll though!  Now, the hottest days of the summer season are due to arrive.  I'll be glad when they're in my rear-view mirror!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~