March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, February 12, 2024

Short Trail Ride~

Butch had left early in the morning & was back on the road.  I decided a bike ride was what I needed & the weather was beautiful.  After reading the trail report from Silver City, riding the trail sounded better than the longer drive up to the lake.  

Mari Jo on the damp trail~
As I pulled in, I saw Mari Jo across the way, on her bike.  I hadn't called, since I'd decided to go last minute.  As we started off, Mari Jo amended what she'd written in her report.  Now, with the warming temperatures, she said the trail had softened.  I had the feeling, my goal of riding to the trestle was not going to happen.
The bridges were dry!  :-)
Just a few feet in, it was all too obvious the trail was not rideable.  At least not for me.  There were short sections that were dry, but for the most part, the trail was rapidly defrosting & soft best described the surface. 
Water in the creek~
It was a chore to make headway to say the least.  Reaching each bridge, it was a relief to have a few feet of hard surface before again tackling the grind & trying to make decent headway.  Smokey's tires were covered with the wet limestone grit sticking to the tread.
We turn back~
At about 2.5-miles, we turned back...  We were making ruts & it was certainly not my idea of fun.  Even if we'd made the Trestle, going back would take more effort than I'd have left to spend.
Soft section, harder section~
The surface doesn't look as bad as it was.  The tires were sinking in with every rotation of the pedals.  I'd made the same mistake last season & told myself then - I wouldn't do it again.  But the alure of the quiet countryside on a beautiful winter day - is hard to ignore.
Road Riding~
It was so laborious, Mari Jo suggested cutting out to the road when we arrived at the section that runs parallel to the trail.  I was more than happy to comply.  If I kept to the main track, it was as hard as concrete without too much loose gravel.

At least, as I returned to the Explorer at about five miles, I was physically tired & that was what I'd needed.  With a warmer than usual second half of February on the way, it won't be long before I'll be enjoying the Wabash again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~