March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, February 25, 2024

Malvern Depot to the Trestle~

 We've had a string of simply wonderful weather - if it weren't for the ongoing drought & super dry conditions.  The last few days we've been in the upper 60's, but it did drop to the mid-20's last night.  Tomorrow we're due to possibly break a record for warmth if we reach the mid-70's.  

Butch leaving~
Butch had made it home for an overnight stop on Friday afternoon.  When he left Sat. morning to pick up his trailer, it wasn't ready.  He returned home & took me to breakfast!  We've been lucky - since we've managed time together once a week for the past couple weeks. As usual though - it's always hard to see him go.  Getting outside is about the only cure.
Northbound from Malvern~
Today I was excited to return to the trail & decided to ride opposite direction I usually take.  I took the last available parking spot at the Depot in Malvern.  Turning north toward Silver City - the Trestle is about half-way. 
Smokey~
The trail was completely dry, with only sunken footprints & tire tracks marring the surface.  Most of these were in areas near where roads intersect the trail.  Some people park at these locations to walk different sections.  Obviously, whoever left the deep prints had sloppy going & the trail surface will take most of the season to recover.  Especially if we don't get any rain.
Hopp Creek Bridge~
I was the only one out this afternoon & I appreciated having the trail to myself.  For whatever reason I stopped at Hopp Creek & decided to walk down to get a photo of the bridge.  All the bridges are showing their age.
Silver Creek Trestle~
The Wabash Trace Facebook page had posted that the Trestle would be closed for repairs.  I wanted to see what progress had been made.  Besides the side rails being pulled off & used to block the main deck, I couldn't decern any changes.
Silver Creek Trestle~
I climbed up on the top railing to get a better view of the bridge.  No one would be crossing from the Silver City side & with no one else on the trail, I enjoyed the peace & quiet.
Southbound from the Trestle~
I'd gone 3.85 miles to reach the Trestle & could feel the difference of riding on the limestone, vs. the smooth concrete & paving at Lake Manawa.  I rode around the pond at park, before sitting on a bench to soak in the late afternoon warmth.  
At the Pond~
The geese are back & were all in the water.  The level of pond hasn't recovered at all since my last visit here with Finnigan a month ago.  Even the snow we did receive wasn't enough to make a noticeable change. I rode a loop around town before returning to the Explorer.  

Finn had spent the afternoon with Doris, helping her work in her backyard.  By the time I got there, Doris had done a lot more yard cleanup & insisted I dig up more of the iris in her flower bed.  They spread like wildfire, so I'm planting them on the hillside that drops down to the marsh.  I hope I'll be able to see the tall blooms from the yard. Everyone is complaining about the moles.  It seems every year they just get worse & they've contributed to the erosion on the hill. 

Almost the end of February & it seems like spring!  We'll see if spring brings the rain we so badly need!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~