March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

A Perfect Day ~

 It was - the most perfect day we've had this spring. Once things start turning green, it seems like the green's almost explode overnight.  I wanted to leave from Silver City again, to try to get a set of Garmin stats to compare riding self-pedal (Smokey) with riding the e-bike (Shadow).

Mari Jo came out of the shop to say "Hi".  She was busy stocking for the upcoming opening of Happy Trails!  

South from Silver City~
The trail did not disappoint.  The surface was the best it's been in months & months.  The little bit of rain had settled the dust & made the limestone fast.  The air smelled so fresh & the birds were in full song.
At the Silver Creek Trestle~
I reached the Trestle in good time; a few clouds had rolled over & diffused what had been strong sunshine just a short while earlier.  It was the bright, gray light I enjoy & perfect for taking photos.

Phlox in full bloom~
With the Phlox blooming along both sides of the trail in places, the difference in just a few days' time, was striking.  I rode on into Malvern & made a loop through the side of town.  On my way I couldn't help but stop to take a picture of the blooming Redbud below.
Redbud Tree~
It's a spectacular tree, larger & in better shape than most.  I've tried to find one at the nurseries, without any luck.  From town, I turned back north toward the pond to stop for my break.  

Today, I was using my new Garmin 310 XT for the first time.  I'd purchased it new from a secondary seller through Walmart.  (This model originally came onto the market in 2009.) It even included a heart rate monitor.  When I received it, information had been entered by another user.  It took me a while to get it to clear, but it eventually did & seems to work fine now.  (Walmart gave me a 40% refund.)  It's such an old model, I was surprised to find one at all - let alone one advertised as new

Boehner Pond~
The clouds blowing over added a surreal look to the pond.  The water level just keeps dropping lower & lower.  I have to hope we receive the promised rains for next week.  I'm amazed at all the green, considering how unbelievably dry we've been for so long now.
Shadow & Wild Plums~
The smell of the wild plumbs is now my favorite smell of spring.  So rich & sweet, almost as strong as lilac. I had to take Shadow's photo here, since I have one from a few years ago of Speedy in the same spot.
More Phlox~
On my way back to Silver City, the sun reappeared.  The ceaseless winds actually missed today too.  It seems we'll have day after day of wind, then just one quiet day before the wind returns.  

Shadow has made riding a pleasure for me again.  I didn't realize how much my legs hurt, until they didn't.  At least they don't as much!  I had hoped to hold off making the change, but don't regret it now.  
Comparison - e-bike today, self-pedaled right~
At home, when I downloaded my stats, the most obvious change is in the number of calories burned.  (Only Garmin knows where the 59 mph came from!)  I'd thought the number would be higher, since I pedal all the way & the first two miles of the ride, I hadn't realized the assist was off until the first uphill grade. This bike - like Smokey - shifts so smoothly I hadn't even missed the assist.

A successful & fun ride, I'm looking forward to more miles on the trail~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~