March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, April 21, 2024

Imogene to Shenandoah ~

 Another perfect day this week!  Butch came home Saturday afternoon & by Sunday we were loading the bikes.  It would be Butch's first ride on his new e-bike & pulling Finn's trailer.

Butch & Finn - ready to rumble!
We decided to drive to Imogene & ride south to Shenandoah.  We'd ridden north from Shenandoah March of 2021 & not made it quite to Imogege before turning back.
On the trail~
It didn't take Butch long at all to decide this bike is a huge improvement over the first one he'd tried. Finn though, was not happy we'd forgotten his flat pad & instead had to use his travel bed.  It was hard for him to stand up.  He loves standing the whole ride.
Very low river!
Riding a pedal assist bike didn't slow my trail companions down much.  Finn likes going fast too!
On one of the longer bridges~
The wild Plums were still in bloom,  it was a cloudless day & so nice to be out in the countryside. 
East Nishnabotna River~
As we rode closer to town, we were soon on the longest bridge of the 64-mile length of the Wabash trail.
On the East Nishnabotna Bridge~
We'd seen no other riders all morning. 
Butch's new bike & Finn in his trailer!
Once we entered the park, there were more families out enjoying the day.  Finn barked at some boys & they got a kick out of seeing him in his trailer. 

Butch continued on from the park.  We were soon riding down the main street of town.  I finally figured out where we were going!  Kats Koolerz ice cream!
Parked in Shenandoah~
There's a nice grassy area with picnic tables in the shade.  Our first ice cream of the season really hit the spot!  We started back toward Imogene.  This section of trail is a nice climb, but the bike's made it doable with greater ease.

Taking a short break on our way back - I returned to Shadow to find my front tire totally flat!  Butch tried to pump it up, but it lost air as fast as he could pump.  My Garmin said we were only two miles from the Explorer.  

Butch & Finn went on ahead to get the car.  I told Butch I'd start walking the bike to the nearest road.  As luck would have it - the trail crossed over on a high overpass.  The way down to the road was steep & totally overgrown.   I continued on - thankful for the "walk" setting on the computer.   That gave me up to 3.5 mph of assist by the motor. 
Shadow- lame in front :-)

I walked on to the next road at the edge of Imogene.  Butch had driven to the first road, but when I called, soon came back a mile & found me!  

When I opened the back door of the Explorer to see Finn - he leaped into my arms!  Butch said he had been SO upset when he realized I wasn't with them.  He'd whined, barked & tried every way he knew to tell Butch they had forgotten me!  

Butch was sure Finn would have taken off in a split second to go find me!  He insisted on sitting on my lap for the trip home!  What a loyal little guy!  I was so very lucky my husband was riding with me & we weren't further out.

We spent some time on Monday at The Bike Way in Omaha getting the flat fixed.  It was a Locust thorn that had ripped almost a 1/4" hole in the tube.  The tires Cannondale put on this bike were a substitute for what it was advertised as having & not as good...  We'll be changing them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~